1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear everyone- thoughts please

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by dizzymai, Apr 10, 2012.

1. dizzymai

dizzymai New commenter

Would you apply for a job at an academy?
    There is a job going locally at a school that I know to be well run and is graded Oustanding. It has an excellent reputation and a lovely feel to it. I fit the person spec and have always had it pencilled in as a school I would love to work in.
    However, it is applying for academy status. Politics aside, I don't know how this might impact on the school and the job, if I were to be successful. I am wavering now over applying. Another thumbs down for me is that it is a C of E school and I am quite atheist and against church schools really (but that's another topic).
    However jobs in well run local schools are hard to come by.......
    What do people think?

2. I think ultimately we're all going to work for academies. The type of school (ethos, behaviour and most importantly the headteacher) are more important than if it is LA run or not. The LA won't support you in the event of something horrible happening anyway.
    If you're really strongly against church schools I think that's more difficult but it really depends on the extent to which it bothers you.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I agree with happyrabbit. Academy or not is largely irrelevant. If the school is fabulous now, it will probably continue to be so.

However the being against church schools and an atheist might cause you all kinds of problems. We take our classes to church several times a year, though not necessarily for a service. We say prayers in every assembly, and any staff leading an assembly are expected to lead prayers. We say a prayer in class before lunch and staff are expected to lead this with their class. We are also expected top uphold the general ethos of the school, which is probably where you might have an issue. I would say think really carefully and visit the school to see how 'churchy' it is.

4. At the moment, no, I'm not desperate enough to work in an academy, but ask me again in a few weeks when the 31st May is looming. I don't think it has anything to do with who is backing you, it is about you knowing what you are signing up to. I am quite fond of my teacher's Pay and Conditions. I know what I'm entitled to and I find this reassuring. Last year I took maternity leave, I was reassured that I could google my maternity entitlements before we choose to conceive and not have to tell anyone at work.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

There are two issues here.
    The issue of CoE is one point for you to come to grips with. I will say that having a religious underpinning seems to help with discipline issues and supporting clear rules for learning and behaviour. But this would have to be weighed up against your oewn feelings on this.
    The second issue is the T&C one.
    Why not contact the Academy and ask for a sample teacher's contract and T&C? Then you can consider it more easily.
    You could also ask your union if they know anything about this academy and how it treats its staff.
    Best wishes

6. dizzymai

dizzymai New commenter

Thanks for your thoughts.
    @Theo- it is in the process of becoming an academy (on the website), not yet one- I think it is still at consultation phase but they sound pretty pro.
    Re- church schools. I say that because I am currently in a C of E church school! SO I know the level of religiosity that is levelled at the children. I think the Christian ethos ia a good one, overall, and can support its main aims. However, I have found myself increasingly uncomfortable at how doctrinal it is- it is not offered as a faith the children can choose to believe, it is expected that you believe and participate in prayers etc. The only children who opt out are Muslim and little is done to include them. But this may be just my school. I enjoy the church services and I think the community links are great.
    Behaviour is all about the Head generally I find. My own children's school is non church and behaviour recently got outstanding- Head is very strong.
    Ho hum. Worried that we all might soon be academies? Surely not!? I'll probably apply.

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You been around the Forum enough for me not to tell you where to head for the advice? Say so if not!
    Good luck!