1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Cookery contritutors, have faith in what you have to say

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by nick909, Oct 26, 2011.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Interestingly we were talking about moules last night and moules-frites is somewhere near the top on my favourites list!
    Boy band!
    We discussed that too, and I think I am planning on throwing them on the BBQ (which we use all year round) and serving with an array of winter salads and pickles/chutneys. Mr Belle is not too keen on couscous, but I keep on trying different kinds to see if I can get him to eat it.

2. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Merguez...

I briefly lived in Montauban, in Tarn-et-Garonne, during my early twenties, living in a Foyer de Jeunes Travailleurs and a load of us would decamp to Palavas Les Flots to use a mate's parents' holiday apartment for weekends on the beach and it was there that I first experienced merguez, from a vendor on the promenade...
    ...2 merguez, with frites, jammed into a length of fresh baguette, with mayonnaise....
    Terribly unhealthy but incredibly good with a cold bottle of beer, sitting on a hot beach, having spent the morning swimming in the sea!
    Might well be doing the same with the merguez we got from H!

Also discovered the joys of pan bagnat during the same trips to the coast...mmmmmm...

3. BelleDuJour

Nick......we must all get together. You, me and H!
    But we will all probably have eaten the merguez by then! [​IMG]

4. When we were staying near Dinan, in August, we had the most delicious moules-frites. They came from the takeaway van that stops in Lanvallay on a Thursday night. 9 Euros and there were plenty for the four of us.

5. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Indeed!

6. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I've been thinking about this, and I find it quite interesting...
    To most Brits, that would seem a relatively esoteric list. But if we equate them to the equivalents that Brits might consume frequently (allowing for a bit of artistic license):
    1. Chicken in a basket (okay, chicken is a bit less interesting than the tasty by-product of foie gras production - but this is simply a portion of poultry, relatively cheap, fried or roasted, invariably served with chips, and fairly ubiquitous - you can get them pretty much anywhere).
    2. Fish and chips (alright, battered cod will be more calorific than mussels but frites are more calorific than British chips - but let's just consider this as the British alternative of the marriage of seafood and potato).
    3. Curry and rice (stretching it a bit, but if we agree that both involve a rich, spicy stew of meat and/or vegetables served with starchy grains designed to soak up the copious juices; also both have their roots in other countries originally).

If that list was unearthed in a British survey it would be considered by most Brits to be unhealthy, unadventurous and decidedly British and would be derided entirely by the French...yet a similar list (in relative terms) in France might be thought of as being quite exotic by Brits but entirely acceptable by the French. Odd, really!

7. Thanks for explaining what JLS is - I had no idea (still never heard of them).
    As to faves, etc - the Germans consider the Brits to be unable to cook and unfortunately, most of them speak from experience, having been on exchange trips and force fed on boiled-to-death veg, chips with vinegar (you are never going to get a GErman to like this), mint sauce (ditto - can't even get my kids to eat that) or a very fatty fry up. They consider Indian curry akin to cat food and don't even go into chicken in a basket when you can get a Broiler here...
    No matter how often I try to convince them otherwise, there is little room for manoevre.
    You have to knock them dead with scones, lemon curd, trifle and a good Shephards Pie - they go kinda meek after that [​IMG]
    I have also converted very many Germans to a strong cuppa Yorkshire tea with MILK! And out of a cup, not a glass!
    I should take commission, really. They all order Yorkshire tea now....

8. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Neither have I!

9. BelleDuJour

Interesting CQ, as when I visited Germany I was disappointed with German cuisine. It all seemed to be pretzels, boiled sausage, boiled feet and heads, cabbage and mustard. Bleugh!!
    I guess most Brits consider Black Forest gateaux to be German. That too is bleugh!
    I'm sure there's some delicous German food out there.

10. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Tis true - the general perception of German food in the UK is that it's all wurst, cabbage and enormous knuckles of pork.
    I've only been to Germany once in my adult life (went a couple of times as a young 'un) and it was definitely very meat heavy. Moreso than British cuisine, I'd say. A very 'macho' diet would be a good way to describe it.
    I'd love to be proven wrong and converted though!
    I think that it's probably a dish that has suffered from too many awful versions done of it since it became ubiquitous during the 60s and 70s. On paper, it should work wonderfully - dark, rich sponge cake; pitted cherries (or at least tinned - never glace!) soaked in kirsch; cold, fresh cream; rich, dark chocolate cream 'icing'....
    ...it's just that there have been to many of the 'dry tasteless sponge; glace cherries; oddly shiny, overly-sweet chocolate sauce' variety...
    I'm sure it's possible to make a knock-out Black Forest Gateau.

11. BelleDuJour

Heston did one on a TV programme. It was knock-out. But then it was Heston.

12. So you had no Kasseler? No really good Sauerkraut? No Sauerbraten with Rotkohl? No Kohlrouladen? No Himmel und Erde? No Kaiserschmarrn? No Adam and Eve? No Armer Ritter? No Rindsroulade? No Tafelspitz? No Krüstenbraten? No Mettwurst? BOILED sausage? Where the hell were you? You only simmer a Bockwurst, you don't boil any sausage...
    And Black Forest - the Brits cannot do it. It is wonderful if done properly - and even though I am am not a cake fan - I can bake it!

13. catherinaaa

catherinaaa New commenter

Ah I'm another one living in Germany- I do love all kinds of German food, specifically Bavarian.
    Some of the delights include Fleischpfanzerl in thin gravy, Kaesespaetzle, Frankfurter Kranz cake, potato salad, Rahmschwammerl,Weisswurst with sweet mustard and fresh pretzels- all kinds of stuff I would miss if I moved back to the UK.
    CQs point about Germans considering British food to be awful has been the same for me in my experience... whenever I cook for my German friends, they are pleasantly surprised and I have won them over with Roast dinner with all the trimming, inc Yorkshire pud, trifle, scones, Shepherd's pie, Cornish pasty "pie", biscuits, cakes and even English brekkie. One of my partner's friends also commented, thinkkiing that I was out of earshot, "Wow, that British girl can actually cook! I was hesitant to try her food, but you really should, it's good!". Was not sure what to make of that, is sehr typisch Deutsch with the straight-forwardness!
    Also, in response to other posters re posting recipes, will post a new one in a bit ;-)

14. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Gott in Himmel! Vot iz all diz? Ve vill teach you how to cook... How come it was all bypassed when we all became became interested in world cuisine?
    Seriously though, celtic, are they dishes you could translate into English?

15. BelleDuJour

Sadly no, CQ [​IMG]
    I'd love to try really good German cuisine but it passed my by on my visit to Munich.

16. Folks - I think it is time either you came to visit catherinaa and me or invited both of us to visit.
    German food (we will get Beth and Mutti in there too) is wonderful stuff.
    And if we can get the Germans eating scones, we can get you enjoying ***!!

17. OMG
    TES ruled out my word for cabbage.
    Hello, BEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeev, why can I not say K.r.a.u.t.?
    I can say frog.

18. Absolutely. I once worked with a bloke who was pressed into service for Black Forest cake every time we had any kind of office celebration. But we had to chip in for it. It was seriously expensive.
    I rather fancy the general awfulness of BF cakes on offer comes from economising on ingredients. Can't be done.