1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Cookery contritutors, have faith in what you have to say

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by nick909, Oct 26, 2011.

1. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Wahey. We are popular after all.
    I read that as throwing together meats.
    *Visions of MM throwing sausages at slabs of brisket on his fancy new barbecue*

2. i love reading the forum but don't often contribute as my food tastes/choices are so different. i am a vegan with many food intolerances and at the moment no kitchen of my own.
    i am glad the forum is popular. not sure how you can tell. ?

3. A food intolerant vegan??!!
    Pineapple sage, you MUST contribute! There are a few veggies, plus those like me that are low meat eaters, who would love some vegan style food recipes. There are also some others with a variety of intolerances, I am sure they would love to share with you.
    That seems to be the difference here, we don't do sniping just sharing and yum yumming!

As for the number crunching, I know it can be done, but leave it to MM to let us know the details! I'm a bit of numpty that way [​IMG]

4. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Yes indeed, as Pobbs says, there are many on here who eat little meat (we only have it 2 or 3 times a week) and lots of us eat vegan meals on a regular basis.
    A few on here have food intolerances as well, so you're far from alone.
    I'm always interested in veggie meals so would be endlessly interested in your contributions.

5. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

It's
    simple. Grab a few threads and put them in your hotlist. Click on
    manage your hotlist and it will tell you how many replies the thread has
    and how many times it was viewed. If you compare threads on cookery with threads on other forums having a similar number of replies you'll see that although it's rare on cookery to have lengthy threads, they get a wider audience than you might imagine.

6. I have my cottons in hand...
    erm..... nope! I'm lost!
    [​IMG]
    tbh I have tried that and it works.... but I don't think I have the kind of mind that likes numbers - so you remian my nominated stochastic man!

7. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

SleighBelle:
    ...I don't know that we are all 'inventive' or 'naturally talented' cooks...but we do love food! If you have a read, you'll also notice that not all the 'inventions' work out!

pineapple sage:
    I used to be veggie, but have gone back to meat. However it is in small portions. And I have a food intolerance. If I look in my recently re-stocked freezer then over half the meals are veggie - and some are vegan.
    I bet you'd have loads to contribute - and not only to the recipes. How about having a look at modelmakers thread on scientists producing 'beef' from stem cells in a lab. I'm sure you'd have thoughts on that!

8. Thanks for your comments. My main food intolerances cause migraines and include (cue violins playing tragic music) alcohol especially wine, chocolate, and cheese. i later found that i feel better without any dairy. Alsorecently I have found that too much wheat eg more than a sandwich results in a stomach ache. This fills me with horror as pasta (which can also cause problems depending on what else I have eaten during the day) is one food that I can eat in restaurants.

9. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

There are certainly others with these/similat intolerances on Cookery pineapple sage. (With me it's cheese - I love it, my skin dopesn't!)
    So, come on...pop onto the 'What are you having for dinner' thread and tell us what you're having tonight!

10. My main food intolerances cause migraines and include (cue violins playing tragic music) alcohol especially wine
    [​IMG]
    My main food intolerances include cake, chocolate, toast and butter and biscuits because they make me fat. Ditto wine, but life wouldn't be worth living without wine!

11. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

[​IMG] haha- me too!

12. catherinaaa

catherinaaa New commenter

I've posted quite a bit on here as I usually find it a friendlier bunch than on personal and opinion, but I posted a few recipes in the last month or so that have just slipped down the page with no comment, so I haven't bothered for a while! Got loads more up my sleeve as am trying all kinds of new recipes right now due to following a diet plan and have experimented a lot.

13. Post them catherinaaa! I don't always see each and every thread as it appears so it would be easy for some to slip through the net as it were.
    I am always keen to hear new ideas as long as they don't involve cake, chocolate........

14. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

This is exactly my point. I think everyone who takes the trouble to start a thread has times when there's few responses, but that doesn't mean the threads aren't being read. It just means that the readers have nothing to add themselves or are too shy about their ability to cook to make a comment. Keep posting the recipes and anything else you come across that's food-related.
    Gradually, enough people will start asking for the foods you can't get in the supermarket. Gradually, people will be more concerned about other food issues. Gradually, more and more people will take a chance at cooking a meal from scratch when they can see it isn't rocket science.

15. adelady my blood pressure is good. Can't remember the numbers. I don't get migraines much now unless I eat the trigger foods- which i do occasionally as I can't resist chocolate. Other times it is accidentally when I eat out. I check for no animal products and then have the migraine pills handy.[​IMG]

16. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

There are several threads I read, but won't respond to as I don't know the TV programmes you're talking about. Judging by the titles, though, it seems that British cooking is coming back into fashion. Could that be because people have started to realise that they can't cook the foods that are part of their heritage but they can throw together so-called Moroccan, Thai or Mexican dishes ?
    I say so-called because they tend to be the British interpretation of dishes with an influence of certain countries. Just like some Indian dishes and Spaghetti Bolognaise (which is not remotely Italian....)

17. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Not necessarily Landaise. I can cook foreign dishes as well as any chef of any nationality and am not afraid to cook I talian for Italians and French food for my French friends. Henriette can cook middle eastern food as good as any I tasted in Morocco this year.
    But a good ragu sauce is. We just call it bolognese over here in Blighty.
    I'm not sure it's ever been out of fashion. The programme that was on last night is in reality a celebration of British produce and different ways of cooking it. That is not the same as British cooking.
    To finish my post and to indicate how good we are at international cuisine I am off to Henriette's tonight to dine on pasta as good as any Italian could produce, and to collect foie gras and merguez that she has kindly bought for me. That's French, Italian and Moroccan in one fell swoop.
    Deeeeeelish!

18. landaise

Wow, I use the term 'people' and speak in generalisations of the British public and you feel you have to defend yourself, Belle ?
    I assumed such programmes were aimed more at encouraging those who live off ready meals and takeaways to get out to markets, local shops and look for seasonal, local food. Rather like the Food Heroes series several years ago. Of course, enthusiastic cooks will watch and enjoy, but it's coals to Newcastle really.....
    I wish the 'celebrity' chefs would stop trying to promote things as being authentic exotic cuisine: do people think the Japanese consume only sushi and Moroccans eat only tagine ? ( my in laws are Moroccan so I think I know a lot about what's authentic !)
    Your comment about foie gras made me laugh: this is the biggest producing area, it's easier to find than minced beef ( no joke !)
    I for one am pleased that British food is being promoted as it would be a shame for it to be seen as second place to other types of food. But is the national favourite still a curry dish ?

19. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Why? You live on France so of course it's easy to find. I live in England and it's not so easy to find. Henriette went to France and bought some back for me.....and the merguez (equally difficult, if not impossible, to find over here).
    Depends who you ask. Like all surveys, you get the result you want by selecting the question you ask and the people you ask.
    Also, TBH I doubt many of these cookery programmes are directed at those who live off ready meals. Bit like trying to convert JLS fans to Mozart.......it ain't gonna happen! No, I believe these programmes are aimed at foodies. We know a lot, we love and appreciate good food but we always seek to find out more.
    Oh, and BTW, supper at Henriette's was awesome! Spaghetti with king prawns, chilli, garlic and olive oil followed by homemade vanilla and rum ice cream.
    Thanks H [​IMG]

20. landaise

It made me laugh simply because it's so easy to find, here, that's all. BTW, I know of a meat supplier in Scotland who imports merguez from France.
    I asked about the nation's favourite dish as here the survey has just been done:
    1. Magret de canard
    2. Moules-frites
    3. Couscous
    Previous no 1 was Blanquette de Veau
    As for your comparison: I have no idea what/who is/are JLS!!
    Henriette"s meal sounds delicious ( apart from the rum: rum and gin are two drinks I cannot stand )
    What do you do with your merguez, Belle ? Out of interest, most people where I live just chuck them onto the barbie. For us, it has to be in Couscous (it's not possible without, according to my family )