1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Clare

Discussion in 'Governors' started by geek84, Nov 16, 2011.

1. geek84

geek84 New commenter

I am a L.A governor at my local secondary school. I have twins who are both in year 6 and I have put this school (where I am governor), as the preferred choice for my kids to attend, when completing the school selection forms.
    This school is a C of E school and when giving in the required Supporting Evidence Forms, do you think it is a good idea to also write a letter saying that I am a governor at the school and because I give up some of my free time to the school, my application for the children's places should be looked at more preferably in the event of over-subscription of students?
    Thanks in advance for your response.

2. You became a governor because.......
    oh yes -- to get your children into the school of your choice.

3. You really are overstepping the mark as a governor by even considering it. Totally against admissions policies and would be viewed as abusing your position as a governor.

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I'm amazed at your question geek84. Are you serious? The governing body of which you are a member is the Admissions Authority for your school and legally required to comply with the Schools Admission Code, but from your question you appear to be entirely ignorant of it. I suggest you read it so that you can carry out your governor's responsibilitiies properly. You will find that not only is what you propose wrong the letter would be ignored.

5. The fact that you are a governor at the school is irrelevant. Each Admission Authority (which may be the governing body or local authority depending on the type of school) must have admissions criteria which are used in the case of more pupils applying for places than there are places available. These criteria must meet the requirements of the Admissions Code and should be objective.
    Clare Collins