1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Clare

Discussion in 'Governors' started by JohnRSS, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Why are so many governing bodies and CoG unable or unwilling to take a stand against bullying by SLT and heads of depts, against classroom teachers? Current evidence that this admittedly multi-facetted phenomenon is not just widespread, it's endemic - and just as widespread in the other ostensibly caring organisation, the NHS. The horror stories now emerging leaves one aghast. Would you agree that CoG and heads are in too cosy a relationship for victims of bullying to feel any degree of confidence in the current system. Would you agree there are too many platitudes, and too few quality assurance procedures that have a secure base for them to be worthwhile as a means of protecting teachers against abuse in the workplace from senior colleagues?

2. Why are so many governing bodies and CoG unable or unwilling to take a stand against bullying by SLT and heads of depts, against classroom teachers? Current evidence that this admittedly multi-facetted phenomenon is not just widespread, it's endemic - and just as widespread in the other ostensibly caring organisation, the NHS. The horror stories now emerging leaves one aghast. Would you agree that CoG and heads are in too cosy a relationship for victims of bullying to feel any degree of confidence in the current system. Would you agree there are too many platitudes, and too few quality assurance procedures that have a secure base for them to be worthwhile as a means of protecting teachers against abuse in the workplace from senior colleagues?

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

There's a lot of leading questions there John.
    Can you give a link to the evidence you are referring to John? To evidence produced by recognised professional bodies or governmental organisations or peer reviewed academic journals that is (rather than anecdotal 'horror stories' or personal experiences). Can you give an estimate of the percentage of schools in which this is happening?

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

John, although I see you have been posting on other forums in the last couple of weeks, responding to other questions, you've chosen not to reply to my question. I am therefore assuming that the evidence claimed by you in your original post does not actually exist and that your assertion that bullying is "endemic" has no factual foundation. I note that in another post you have said "Probably only a minority of heads or DHs really are bullies (as opposed to having a robust management style)" so it appears to me that you acknowledge yourself that bullying is not "endemic".

5. Firstly, I'm not convinced that there is evidence that this issue is ‘endemic'. There may be instances where the headteacher/chair of governor relationship is as you say ‘too cosy' but I don't believe and certainly hope that this is not the norm. There are procedures in all maintained schools for dealing with staff grievances - if an individual is dissatisfied at the first stage of the process then they have the right of appeal, and that appeal would be heard not by the Chair of governors, but by three other governors who had no prior knowledge of the issue. I think it needs to be remembered that there are many measures in place to protect teachers - they have recourse to employment law and their own trade unions who are very responsive and active in ensuring that terms and conditions are adhered to.
    Clare Collins