1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Clare

Discussion in 'Governors' started by MrRee, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Who decides upon the Management Structure of a School?
    Is it the Head? Is it the Governors? Is it the Head in conjunction with the Governors?
    I think it may be the third option - if it is, I suspect that the Full Governing Board should be engaged in the Management Structure (ie. it shouldn't be passed to a small committe which only needs 2 Governors to make it quorate?).
    I'm open to opinions, but feel uneasy with this.

2. Who decides upon the Management Structure of a School?
    Is it the Head? Is it the Governors? Is it the Head in conjunction with the Governors?
    I think it may be the third option - if it is, I suspect that the Full Governing Board should be engaged in the Management Structure (ie. it shouldn't be passed to a small committe which only needs 2 Governors to make it quorate?).
    I'm open to opinions, but feel uneasy with this.

3. Without wanting to betray an opinion as to the best model, I would suggest it is up to the governors to decide how the process is to be carried out. If the task is delegated to a working group or sub committee, I would expect any plans or recomendations to be brought back to the full GB for a final decision.

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

It has to be a joint matter between the governors and the head MrRee. By law the governing body is responsible for (1) the "strategic framework" of the school and (2) the budget. The head cannot decide the management or staffing structure without complying with the governors strategic framework and staffing budget. On the other hand the head is (1) responsible for the "internal organisation, management and control" of the school, (2) required to advise the governors on the establishment of the strategic framework and then (3) required to implement the governors strategic framework. The governors cannot act unilaterally in deciding the management structure. [Source: The Education (School Government) (Terms of Reference) ( England) Regulations 2000]

That doesn't mean it has to be the full Governing Body though. It can be delegated to a Committee if you want to, although a Committee has to have a minimum of 3 governors present to be quorate, not 2.

5. Hi
    The governing body are responsible for the strategic direction of the school and the structure of the senior leadership team will have a big impact on how that vision is made reality, so of course the govering bdoy should have a say in its structure. The headteacher, in their operational (rather than governor role) will also have views on what s/he sees as the best structure for the school.
    I'm not sure there is a right or wrong answer as to whether the full governing body or a committee should make the decision - it will entirely depend upon your governing body. As for a committee, the Procedures Regulations specify that the quorum for any meeting of a committee ‘shall be not less than three governors who are members of the committee'.

Clare Collins