1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Clare, what happens next

Discussion in 'Governors' started by crabapple99, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Dear Clare, I have had a parent make a formal complaint to the governors, claiming I was rude to her and her daughter, threatened them ,and lied on the records. There are no idependant witnesses. I have already been investigated by the goverors, once by an individual, and once by a panel, and they found there was no evidence. This mother is intending to take it further, to the department of education. She says she was disadvantaged during the governors inquiery as she is no good at paperwork, and that it is not her problem that there are no witnesses, just her and her daughter. What is likely to happen next? My paperwork and record keeping is very good, and this certainly helped me,surely that should be taken into account?

2. Dear Clare, I have had a parent make a formal complaint to the governors, claiming I was rude to her and her daughter, threatened them ,and lied on the records. There are no idependant witnesses. I have already been investigated by the goverors, once by an individual, and once by a panel, and they found there was no evidence. This mother is intending to take it further, to the department of education. She says she was disadvantaged during the governors inquiery as she is no good at paperwork, and that it is not her problem that there are no witnesses, just her and her daughter. What is likely to happen next? My paperwork and record keeping is very good, and this certainly helped me,surely that should be taken into account?

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

crabapple, you don't say what your position is, but as governors investigated the complaint against you I'm assuming you are the head. The governors have carried out their investigation twice and twice found that the complaint is unjustified. That's the end of it really, Iit's not unknown for parents in these situations to huff and puff and say they are going to complain to the DfE the LA the Prime Minister and goodness knows who else but they rarely do. Even if they do they will be politely told it's nothing to do with the DfE etc. The answer to what happens next is almost certainly 'nothing', just let the parent get on with whatever it is they say they going to do and see if anything ever transpires. If the governors complaints investigation was seriously flawed the Local Govt Ombudsman could ask a different panel of governors to hear it yet again, but the absence of witnesses doesn't mean it's flawed - it's just factually the case that there were no witnesses! It doesn't mean anyone was at fault. Your good record keeping was presumably part of the reason the governors found the complaint to be without faoundation.

Did the parent tell the governors panel she needed assistance with paperwork? If not it's hard to see how it's a valid complaint against the governors procedures. Most complaints policies allow the parent bringing the complaint to be accompanied at the hearing by a friend or someone to help and support them. If the parent chose not to do that then that's their fault not yours.

4. She is semi literate,and did claim not to be able to understand the procedure, any time things were not going her way

5. In most instances, as Rott has said, the final stage in any complaints procedure is the appeal to a panel of governors. Once this has happened the complainant can only complain about how the panel conducted the appeal and whether it was in accordance with the school's complaints policy, not about the original issue.
    In my experience, whilst many people initially bluster and moan about a decision that goes against them, it is vary rare that they actually go any further and even rarer that they are successful.
    If I was you, I would put the matter behind me and consider the entire issue closed.