1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Clare - Staff Capability and Misconduct

Discussion in 'Governors' started by miss.d, Jun 17, 2011.

1. When should governors be informed about concerns regarding capability of a teacher? And how much should they be told? What about when a teacher is the subject of a misconduct investigation?

Thanks in advance.

2. When should governors be informed about concerns regarding capability of a teacher? And how much should they be told? What about when a teacher is the subject of a misconduct investigation?

Thanks in advance.

3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

I would expect the Chair of Governors to know most of the details. The Governing Body should just be informed that a teacher is being investigated or is going through the cabability proceedure. Usually this would be done as part of the HT's report.

4. Thanks for the reply. Is there guidance on this anywhere? A document perhaps?

5. I would be surprised if your school does not have a policy that covers this. If they don't, then your LA should have a model policy.

6. There is a balance to be had between keeping governors informed and providing information that could ultimately mean members of the governing body would not be seen as ?untainted? should they have to form a panel to hear evidence on the capability/misconduct issue.

It may be that the governing body can be told that there is a teacher subject to capability proceedings or a misconduct investigation with no further information divulged. This ensures that the governing body is aware of the situation, but preserves their ignorance of the essential facts. It terms of misconduct it may also depend on how serious the nature of the misconduct is and whether it is likely to be in the ?public/press? domain.

In general, I would expect the chair of governors to be given more information than other governors.

7. Thank you for your reply. I was concerned about the level of detail (some anecdotal) that was shared about a teacher at my school. It sounds like far too much was told to the whole governing body (including parent governors).