1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Clare - Sats results

Discussion in 'Governors' started by gingermonkeynorth, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Dear Clare,
    I have been asking for details of the year 6 sats results since last July. I have been fobbed off by statements such as 'they will be included in the next HT report, they are disappointing, they have not yet been validated.' I finally found the figures before Christmas in the local press. They were very poor. Last week I was shocked to find that our school was in the list of the worst performing Primary schools in the country. It is more than 6 months since the results came into school and governors (and Staff) only find out the details through the press and the BBC website. I am very cross that information is withheld from Governors, despite minuted requests for it. What can I do about this, apart from complaining vociferously?

2. Dear Clare,
    I have been asking for details of the year 6 sats results since last July. I have been fobbed off by statements such as 'they will be included in the next HT report, they are disappointing, they have not yet been validated.' I finally found the figures before Christmas in the local press. They were very poor. Last week I was shocked to find that our school was in the list of the worst performing Primary schools in the country. It is more than 6 months since the results came into school and governors (and Staff) only find out the details through the press and the BBC website. I am very cross that information is withheld from Governors, despite minuted requests for it. What can I do about this, apart from complaining vociferously?

3. Ask for it to be put on the agenda for the next governors' meeting, and raise a stink. If the chair refuses to put it on the agenda, go to the meeting and raise a stink about that. This really is outrageous - it's entirely proper that the governing body should see this sort of information, and the head shouldn't be withholding it, however embarrassing it might be.

4. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

I agree; put the request in writing to the clerk to the governors.

5. I emailed my concerns to the chair and he has passed them on to the head teacher. Now he wants to see me for a chat. I suspect he's going to try and head me off from raising it at the next meeting. Should I make an excuse and not meet or should I be brave and insist on the topic being included at our next meeting?

6. QFE

QFE New commenter

I'd insist on it being included. After all, the GB will get it in the neck from Ofsted as well as the head. One wonders what other skeletons are lurking...

7. When you say "he wants to see me for a chat", is that the head or the chair? If it's the head, I would still insist on a discussion at a full governing body meeting. If it's the chair, unless the "chat" is intended to let you know that the head is about to leave the school, the same advice applies. The governing body needs to discuss the poor SATs results and league table position, and the head needs to be told firmly and in public that it isn't on to withhold legitimate information from the governing body.

8. It's the head and it's today! I' very nervous because I'll be under pressure not to make a fuss. But thank you all for your advice.

9. Well he got me from an angle I wasn't expecting. Apparently, I have been making my children's teachers feel very uncomfortable by discussing poor results with them. I have been told in no uncertain terms that I am not to talk to the teachers. My conversations with them have been on very general terms and never personal. (My children are very young and I am in daily contact with their teachers.) It's a slap on the wrist to keep me in my place. I think I've had enough.

10. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Have you been discussing your own children's poor results, if so you are perfectly entitled to. If you have been discussing poor results in general, then they would be entitled to feel uncomfortable!

11. This is not good practice. The headteacher is accountable to the governing body and should not be withholding information. The governing body is responsible for promoting high standards of education and is the accountable body; it needs to have all the relevant information about school performance. All governors should be informed about key stage results. You do not say whether you are the Chair of governors or not, if not then in the first instance you should raise the issue with the Chair. I am attaching a link to a document the NGA developed with the National Association of Headteachers and the Association of School and College Leaders - What governing bodies should expect from school leaders and what school leaders should expect from governing bodies - which sets out parameters for governing bodies and headteachers. NGA Governors and Heads