1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Clare - Role of GB in dealing with staff stress

Discussion in 'Governors' started by UnsureChair, Nov 4, 2011.

1. I'm chair of governors (inexperienced) at a primary school which is in special measures. The staff including the management team, are finding the pressure from HMI and the local authority intolerable and absenteeism is rising. I would like to know my role, and that of the GB, in handling workplace stress like this and supporting the staff. Thank you

2. I'm chair of governors (inexperienced) at a primary school which is in special measures. The staff including the management team, are finding the pressure from HMI and the local authority intolerable and absenteeism is rising. I would like to know my role, and that of the GB, in handling workplace stress like this and supporting the staff. Thank you

3. The governing body is either the direct employer of the staff or exercises employer responsibilities - either way it has a duty of care to the staff of the school. You may find the link to the attached document helpful - Common Mental Health Problems: supporting school staff. It may also be worth having a conversation with your the local authority HR or occupational health about the issue.

Clare collins