1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Clare : Re appontment of an Assistant Headteacher.

Discussion in 'Governors' started by REbabe, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Dear Clare when a school appoints an Assistant Headteacher can the governors delegate this authority to the Head or is it similar to the post of Head and deputy and follow the same procedures as if you were appointing a Deputy Head teacher etc. I can't find this answer in any manual as it refers to teachers and Head and Deputy Heads ( I was looking in the guide to the law for school governors)
    Thanks.

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Yes it can - AHT falls within the posts which the GB has normally delegated to the head.

3. staxis

staxis New commenter

Yes it can, but it does not have to.

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

No, it doesn't - but it all depends on whether or not the head has already said s/he wishes to accept the (expected) delegation of appointments from the GB. If s/he has, s/he has the right to undertake the appointment without any governor reps if s/he chooses; some heads will choose to ask for one or more governor reps for such a post, whilst others won't.

5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

That is not what is expected of Governors for an assistant head taecher, only for appointments below that level.
    Governors can delegate the appointment of an Assistant Head to the Headteacher but they are recommended not to in the statutory Staffing Guidance
    https://www.education.gov.uk/publications/eOrderingDownload/01081-2009DOM-EN.pdf
    Paragraph 2.10 of the Guidance says:
    "2.10 It is recommended that the governing body delegates functions relating to staff appointments outside of the leadership group and all dismissals to the head teacher, unless it thinks this would be inappropriate."
    Leadership Group is defined in STPCD as including an Assistant Head:
    ' "member of the leadership group" means a head teacher, a deputy head teacher or an assistant head teacher; '

6. Thanks.
    Iam still not 100% clear if the post comes under ordinary techers or deputy and Headteacher post.

7. staxis

staxis New commenter

I would put it slightly differently. It does not depend on what the head has said previously and what the head wishes. It depends on whether the GB has previously decided to deligate this power. The GB could decide to withhold this power even if the head wanted it.

8. And if the gb wants to it can withdraw that delegation if already in place.

9. It can be delegated but that adice (and in my experience, usual practice) not to. The process/procedure to be follow is up to the GB. At the school i have been chair at we have used a cutdown version of the HT/DHT process.