1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Clare - How to deal with angry governors?

Discussion in 'Governors' started by jayjaysmith, May 23, 2011.

1. Hi Clare -
    I have recently become a Community Governor on one of my local school's Board of Governors. I am also an experienced classroom teacher.
    During the first meeting that I attended an emotional issue was raised that led to anger and personal abuse amongst some of the other governors. I was shocked by the behaviour but choose to sit back and observe, as I was unfamiliar with the issues being raised.
    If this behaviour occurs again, I will intervene. Obviously, I will state my opinion but I am wondering if there are any guidelines about how best to go about doing this? Also, who is responsible, on the governing body, to maintain order at meetings? Are their any guidelines as to how they should do this that I could read?
    Thank you for your time.

2. Hi Clare -
    I have recently become a Community Governor on one of my local school's Board of Governors. I am also an experienced classroom teacher.
    During the first meeting that I attended an emotional issue was raised that led to anger and personal abuse amongst some of the other governors. I was shocked by the behaviour but choose to sit back and observe, as I was unfamiliar with the issues being raised.
    If this behaviour occurs again, I will intervene. Obviously, I will state my opinion but I am wondering if there are any guidelines about how best to go about doing this? Also, who is responsible, on the governing body, to maintain order at meetings? Are their any guidelines as to how they should do this that I could read?
    Thank you for your time.

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

I wouldn't want to say governors should never show anger in a GB meeting but I take your point that it's how it's expressed; personal abuse shoudn't be allowed. The person who ought to have prevented this is the Chair of Governors (assuming they were chairing the meeting). It's a basic responsibility of anyone chairing a formal meeting of a public body like a GB to ensure that it it doesn't descend to personal abuse. If necessary I'd have suspended the meeting for 10 minutes to let things cool down. There isn't a big 'Governor Nannying Unit' in the DfE issuing guidelines and instructions to Chairs and GBs on how to behave. It's down to the Chair to do it and it sounds as if your Chair failed.

4. staxis

staxis New commenter

<font size="2">It is right to say that the Chair has responsibility for managing the meeting but surely the individual governors themselves should have responsibility for managing their own behaviour. Now that this has occurred it strikes me that the way the aftermath is handled is very important and this also must be the Chair's responsibility.</font> <font size="2">Without knowing any details of the actual situation it is difficult to comment further but governors should know what is and what is not acceptable behaviour and if necessary this should be in the Governing Body's Code of Conduct.</font>