1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Clare - Headteacher budget manipulation?

Discussion in 'Governors' started by concernedgovernor, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Dear Clare,
    I am a Teacher Governor and therefore have access to financial information regarding my school.
    During a recent meeting the Head and school adminstrator fedback information regarding school budget/ expenditure. They indicated (using documents to support what they said) that they had employed a particular person (spouse of an assistant head, who was recently made redundant from his job) as a Level One Teaching Assistant from the 5th of January 2011. This is fine, however the person in question has never been seen to enter a classroom in the capacity of a teaching assistant/ to support education.
    It is commonly known that he only undertakes maintenance/ caretaker like work around the school. In addition to this the school has three caretakers already. Two full time and one whom I think works part time.
    I spoke to the another assistant head recently, who is in charge of support allocation for the whole school, in order to have some provision for my class and she had no knowledge of this person being employed as a Level 1 Teaching Assistant.
    On the basis of the information provided by the Head I have strong suspicions that laws are being violated.
    What do you think?

2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..............

3. Which laws do you think are being violated?

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I can't think what law could have been broken. What did you have in mind? There's no suggestion in your post that someone is being paid but not actually working at the school, only that the job you saw described on an internal document appears to be different to the one you see him/her doing. It's a big jump you're making from there to assuming there's any sort of wrongdoing. You were a governor at the meeting, why didn't you ask? Why not ask at the next meeting?

5. I didn't raise the issue at the meeting as I was unaware who the person was at the time (it was early January).
    Couldn't this be classed as fraud? The Head clearly stated that he'd hired a teaching assistant and this was reflected in the School Budget which was presented at the meeting. He also mentioned it in his Head Teacher's report.

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

No. You seem to be desperate to find a criminal offence here, rather than merely to ensure that you and your fellow governors are doing the best for your school. That this person is paid on a specific scale and not apparently working according to the usual job description is not a 'fraud' - there are people paid as teachers in schools who do not teach!
    If you object to the level of pay this person is receiving and believe it to be inappropriate, that's the avenue you should pursue.

7. Hi
    Presumably if this was a formal meeting of the governing body (full or committee) there will be minutes which will show that a teaching assistant has been appointed. You could wait until the next meeting of the governing body/committee and ask how the new teaching assistant has settled in as you have had no personal contact with him.
    If you do not want to wait that long then you could raise your concerns with the Chair of the Governing Body.
    If you really do think there is serious mismanagement at the school then another approach would be to use the school's Whistle Blowing Policy.

Clare Collins