1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Clare election address for parent governor role

Discussion in 'Governors' started by issypicken, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Dear Clare
    I am submitting an application to be parent governor at my chidren' primary school. I have been asked to submit an election address.....but have not been given any guidance on what to include. Do you have any tips? I have been told not to exceed 200 words, which seems rather a lot! I would also like to know whether this is meant to be a persuasive piece of writing or a statement of fact - suspect a combination of both- but don't want to come across all pushy, nor too wishy-washy. Would value your suggestions.
    Thanks

2. Dear Clare
    I am submitting an application to be parent governor at my chidren' primary school. I have been asked to submit an election address.....but have not been given any guidance on what to include. Do you have any tips? I have been told not to exceed 200 words, which seems rather a lot! I would also like to know whether this is meant to be a persuasive piece of writing or a statement of fact - suspect a combination of both- but don't want to come across all pushy, nor too wishy-washy. Would value your suggestions.
    Thanks

3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

200 words isn't a lot. Just tell people a little bit about yourself and why you want to stand. Nobody will be expecting a manifesto.

4. Hi
    A little bit about yourself and a little bit about why you want to be a parent governor - a key fact here is that a parent governor your role is to act in the best interests of all the children in the school, not simply what might be good for your child. You may want to put in something about being happy to undertake training - NGA believes that all governors should undergo training. 200 is a fairly typical number of words - but it is the maximum - if you can say all you want to say in less words that is not a problem. Just be yourself and if elected enjoy!
    Clare Collins