1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Clare - Conflict of interest?

Discussion in 'Governors' started by kktg6807, Jan 27, 2011.

1. kktg6807

kktg6807 New commenter

Dear Clare,
    My question is regarding the matter of a married couple serving as school governors. In this instance the husband is the Chair of Governors while the wife is a Staff Governor (Support Staff). The school is in the middle of a consultation process re school cuts, curriculum changes and reundancies.
    Recently, members of staff have found it difficult to publicly voice any concerns they may have regarding the governors' running of the school. This has culminated in a staff forum where opinions were shared of the competence of the chair, and the female staff governor leaving the meeting.
    I wonder if any guidelines exist which suggest parameters for this kind of situation?
    Many thanks

2. kktg6807

kktg6807 New commenter

Dear Clare,
    My question is regarding the matter of a married couple serving as school governors. In this instance the husband is the Chair of Governors while the wife is a Staff Governor (Support Staff). The school is in the middle of a consultation process re school cuts, curriculum changes and reundancies.
    Recently, members of staff have found it difficult to publicly voice any concerns they may have regarding the governors' running of the school. This has culminated in a staff forum where opinions were shared of the competence of the chair, and the female staff governor leaving the meeting.
    I wonder if any guidelines exist which suggest parameters for this kind of situation?
    Many thanks

3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

There is no reason why two governors should not be married. Presumably the staff knew of connection between the two governors when they elected the Staff Governor to be their representative?

Unless you attend governor's meeting how do you know about the 'performance' of the Chair? Perhaps you could give us some details about their alleged lack of competence? - In reality the Chair of Governors have very few powers over and above those of other individual governors, so is your gripe really with the Board of Governors?

4. This is a tricky situation and precisely because difficult issues can arise, probably best avoided if at all possible. The School Governance (Procedures) England Regulations 2003 set out the rules on conflict of interest and pecuniary interest. These rules specifically refer to when these situations arise in relation to meetings of the governing body (either full governing body meetings or committees).
    If the staff of the school have an issue relating to the management of the school then I would suggest that this is addressed through the official trade union channels within the school.