1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Clare - Claification required re. "Associate Governors"

Discussion in 'Governors' started by Rott Weiler, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

They certainly can exist, but the correct name is Associate Member 9they are not formally a governor). But the HT cannot appoint or put someone in that position, only the governing body itself can decide if it wants to appoint an Associate Member. Ask the Clerk to the Governing Body if the GB has appointed any AMs. If not this person is acting illegitimately and the Chair should take steps to prevent it happening.

2. Thankyou very much RT - very helpful indeed.....and interesting to note [​IMG]

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

A further thought on this. Rereading your post it sounds as if this person isn't attending any Committee or full GB meetings, the head is just discussing matters with them in private. A headteacher can choose to get advice and opinions from anyone they like, and if the head chooses to discuss matters with an ex-governor whose opinions they trust there isn't anything wrong with that. The head shouldn't be sharing with them any confidential information although in practice it'd be very difficult to establish what happens in a conversation involving only them.
    The situation at the end of Ofsted feedback is unusual but again not actually wrong. The head is entitled to have whoever they want present at the feedback so could legitimately ask this person. The Chair should also have been invited, OFSTED say, and if I were Chair and that invitation hadn't been passed on to me I'd be mightily pi$$ed off about it. You don't say what your role is, could the Chair have been invited but for some reason no governors were able to attend?
    The one thing that can't be done though is to give the peson a title that implies he is formally a governor or associated with the GB, and maybe that the only thing here which is actually wrong is the head calling him an AG.

4. As a slight aside, LA governors still "exist". There has, as yet, been no legislation passed to change the categories of governor.

5. RW - As I understand the situation to be, the AM is invited and attends ALL meetings (as far as I am aware there are no sub-committees), takes part in all votes and has discussion rights at all meetings.
    Re. Ofsted, I know no other member of the GB was asked, so they didn't have the opportunity to decline.
    In case you are wondering, my position in this is that I was "invited" to apply for previously mentioned PG election to give "power to the elbow" to a number of the current GB. Unfortunately, I was unsuccessful and it has been muted (not be me I may hasten to add) that this was a "democratic process" if you get my meaning. Neither I nor any of the other candidates were invited to the ballot count, ballot papers were not numbered, and the result was in the public domain being bandied around Facebook/Playground a full 24 hours before I or the GB got to find out. Personally if it were me choosing the wasp's nest to kick, it would be the clear lack of any protocol with regard to the PG election, but it would appear that others have bigger axes to weiled.
    However, this doesn't mean I can't research/provide moral support to those members who asked me to stand, and it doesn't mean I can't reapply.

Many thanks for your helpful thoughts ;0)

AB

6. We've just invited two people to be Associate Members on our governing body. They were formally invited by letter - the letter stating which committee meetings they could attend and what their voting situation was on each committee i.e. you can decided what you want AMs to do.

7. There is no such thing as an Associate Governor, but there are Associate Members. Associate Members are appointed by a Governing Body as a member of one of its committees. Associate Members are not governors and cannot vote in governing body meetings, but may (if they have been given the power to do so by the governing body) vote at the relevant committee meetings. Associate Members do have the right to attend governing body meetings.
    I would expect at least the Chair of Governors to attend the Ofsted feedback report and generally more governors than that, but technically there is no legal requirement for any governor to be there (although Ofsted take the view that there should be).

You say that issues are discussed with this one person first before they are discussed with members of the governing body - providing that the governing body is then having a frank and open discussion then I am not sure this is necessarily a problem. You do not mention the Chair of governors, but if you think there is a problem with the governing body then any concerns should first be addressed to the chair.

I am afraid that I do not understand what point you are making about the election of parent governors.