1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Clare: can a staff governor chair a sub committee

Discussion in 'Governors' started by kanddd, May 5, 2011.

1. I am a teaching assistant who is on a sub committee. The chairman of the sub committee is resigning at the end of the school year. Can I, a staff governor, take over chairmanship of it. Other than the head teacher I will have been the only governor with experience of the committee and the work that it does within the governing body.

2. I am a teaching assistant who is on a sub committee. The chairman of the sub committee is resigning at the end of the school year. Can I, a staff governor, take over chairmanship of it. Other than the head teacher I will have been the only governor with experience of the committee and the work that it does within the governing body.

3. The simple answer is yes. Although the Procedures Regulations prohibit a paid member of staff being either the Vice-chair of the Chair of the governing body, there is nothing in the Regulations which prohibits a member of staff being the Chair of a committee.
    Clare Collins