1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Clare: Appealing the appeals?

Discussion in 'Governors' started by Ickar, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Dear Clare (or anyone in the know)
    Can you tell me whether, as governors, we can come back to the local authority who have upheld a rather large number of parental admission appeals please? This is for reception entry 2011 ie we had no input in to who was given a place originally or who was granted a place on appeal.
    I suspect the answer is 'no' but many thanks for any thoughts/info.
    If the answer is that we have to take everyone who now has a place, do we have grounds for additional funding to help towards accommodating them? (over and above the usual per pupil £, or new Pupil Premium).
    Many thanks!

2. You are right, the answer is no. I should point out that parental appeals against admission are not heard by the local authority but by an independent appeals panel and neither the local authority nor the governing body can over-rule its decision. Local authorities are the admission authority for community schools and voluntary controlled schools and the governing body is the admission authority in voluntary aided and foundation schools. Academies are their own admission authority. The admission authority sets the Published Admission Number and the criteria which will apply in the case of over-subscription. All admission authorities are subject to the Admissions Code, amendments to which are currently the subject of a Government consultation - http://www.education.gov.uk/consultations/index.cfm?action=consultationDetails&consultationId=1744&external=no&menu=1
    Funding, whether you receive any additional funding will depend on your local authority's funding scheme (although I doubt it). The Pupil Premium for April 2011-March 2012 is based on the number of pupils registered as eligible for free school meals on the January 2011 school census, so I don not think you will receive any additional funding for these pupils either.