1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Clare and others

Discussion in 'Governors' started by lwst, Dec 16, 2010.

1. <font face="Times New Roman">Dear Clare and anyone else who can offer advice,</font><font face="Times New Roman"> </font><font face="Times New Roman">I am fairly new to teaching but worked in the corporate world before coming into teaching. I was very surprised when I started at my new school in September to find a Head teacher who thought that it was perfectly acceptable to bully most of her staff. She shouts at them in front of other staff, in front of children and about things that should not really be an issue and I mean shouts at them. </font><font face="Times New Roman"> I am yet to find a member of staff that has any respect for her but yet everyone seems to accept it. I am thinking of leaving at the end of the year to go somewhere where I don't feel like I have to hid if I see my Head teacher and I know other members who would like to leave but can't due to family situations.</font><font face="Times New Roman"> </font> Surely there must be something the staff can do to save this school and keep the good teachers rather than the bullying and irrational Head teacher? I would give examples but I am too scared to. I should probably also say it is an independent school.
    <font size="3">Thank you very much for any time taken to reply, it is greatly appreciated.</font>

2. It's better to move on. Unless you can get other staff to join you in grievance actions, you'll be on to a loser here. If you make a stand alone, you'll find that the others will melt away. People tend to be very afraid for various reasons and that is their business. I blew the whistle on my head teacher (non-bullying issue) and it was found that s/he was in the wrong. This person has since tried to bully me. Because I'm no longer afraid of this person, they cannot get under my skin. I'd say, believe in what you're doing and start to see your head teacher as the pathetic person they are. Be good at your job and stay one step ahead of the game. [​IMG]

3. I am most familiar with the maintained sector rather than the independent sector. But what you described falls under basic conditions of employment, which are covered by employment law and apply regardless of what type of employment you are in. In maintained schools there is a requirement to have a specific grievance policy. In other areas of employment (and I don't profess to be an HR expert) I'm not sure it's necessary to have a specific policy, but there is statutory guidance produced by ACAS. I would suggest you first find out whether your employer has a grievance policy as this would be the usual way to make a complaint. The other thing you could do is ring ACAS for advice. Its website contains all relevant contact details - http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1461