1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Clare ... Advice required - Responsibiliites of a Financce Link Governor

Discussion in 'Governors' started by geek84, Oct 12, 2011.

1. geek84

geek84 New commenter

Hi Folks
    I was the finance committee link governor for my local secondary school during the last academic year. Although I used to attend the meetings on a regular basis and have a look at the school accounts (handouts were given out during meetings), I was never given an indepth explanation of what the figures meant and whether or not they were 'reasonable'. However, I did make repeated requests for an indepth knowledge from the chair of the governors, but she never got round to sitting with me to do this!
    I therefore never did any link governor work with any of the other members of school staff (i.e. talking to members of staff about what their requirements may be) because I didn't have the background knowledge. And so, never produced any reports - and nobody on the committee asked me to produce a report!
    Now it seems that the finance committee of the school governing body are expecting to receive a link governor report for finance for the last academic year from myself, which of course I did not do !
    Do you think I have been very silly in not producing a report and because of that, would I be thrown out of the committee?
    Thanks in advance for your response.

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

geek, you've already asked the identical question in the thread you started here 3/2/11 - most recent response yesterday. What is it that to you don't like about the replies you've already been given?
    https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/464568.aspx

3. geek84

geek84 New commenter

Hi Rott Weiler
    Your answer to my query is absolutely fine - in fact I am most grateful to you for taking the time to read my problem and giving me the appropriate advice.
    I just wanted some other people to respond as well - I didn't get much of a response on the revios thread - except from your good self.

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

....and staxis and kez and reilloc and NanLT.....

5. I haven't come across a link-governor for finance before. I would expect the Finance Committee to question the head/business manager about why a draft budget has been put together in a particular way and how it fits with the school's development/improvement plan. I appreciate that you have asked the chair of governors for information, but most local authorities run training courses on finance for governors and if you have not already done so it would be worthwhile to seek to attend such a course. In addition, the Department for Education has quite a lot of information on its website about finance and financial benchmarking which you may find useful - http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/adminandfinance/financialmanagement
    As regards your continuation on the Committee I think your best course of action is to talk to your Chair of governors about this and explain why you do not feel able to produce a report.
    Clare Collins