1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Claire

Discussion in 'Governors' started by History-buff, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Our last Ofsted inspection rated the as "good" overall. But our local improvement team/local government, feel that this is wrong. We do have grounds I think to ask for this inspection to be re-visted.
    I was wondering what happens if we do get re-inspected? Having seen what pressure this puts on the staff. Is it right to ask them to go through that again?
    Is there a middle ground of which I'm not aware?
    I'm hoping that you can advise.
    Many Thanks.

2. Our last Ofsted inspection rated the as "good" overall. But our local improvement team/local government, feel that this is wrong. We do have grounds I think to ask for this inspection to be re-visted.
    I was wondering what happens if we do get re-inspected? Having seen what pressure this puts on the staff. Is it right to ask them to go through that again?
    Is there a middle ground of which I'm not aware?
    I'm hoping that you can advise.
    Many Thanks.

3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Don't poke the snake

4. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

very profound.

5. What's wrong with Good?
    Outstanding schools will have a hard task to stay there. As some would say, the only way is down. There will be a new inspection framework out in the autumn, it may be tough.
    In my view it would be better to be Good at the start of this new regime, than Outstanding.
    The LA will naturally want to have as many Outstanding schools as they can.

6. I am assuming that when you say that you do not think the ‘good' rating is right, this is because you think you should have been graded ‘outstanding'. You also don't say how long it is since you were inspected, but if it has only just taken place you could complain to Ofsted via their formal procedure.
    Other than that, the new Education Bill will give schools the option of requesting an inspection from Ofsted - this is primarily to take account of the fact that good and outstanding schools will no longer routinely be inspected and, therefore, good schools in particular would not be able to achieve an ‘outstanding' rating. The Bill has only just had its second reading in the House of Commons and is not expected to become law until the Autumn. The Bill does say that Ofsted will be able to charge for requested inspections and that it will be up to Ofsted to decide how many to carry out.
    Ofsted inspections are stressful and I would think carefully before seeking to trigger a quick re-inspection. There is no guarantee that a different inspector (although I acknowledge that they do differ) would come to a different conclusion, regardless of what your local service thinks.