1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Charlie - retraining as a primary teacher

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by muswash, Jun 28, 2015.

1. muswash

muswash New commenter

Hi Charlie
    I am currently a music teacher with a B.Ed Honours Music working in a middle school which I due to close in two years. I work full time, I am the music and arts coordinator for the school and have been teaching since 1995.
    I'd like some advice on the best way to retrain as a primary class teacher whilst, if possible, still working?
    I've looked in to distance learning but feel there should/could be a better way!!
    Any advice gratefully received.
    Many thanks

2. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

If you have QTS then you don't need to retrain, you'll just have to convince headteachers that you are capable of teaching the full primary curriculum. Perhaps use the next two years to get experience teaching other things besides music; your school may help you so it's good to ask them what they could offer you. If you don't have QTS you'll need to get it through a PGCE, Schools Direct or similar. However, there's nothing stopping you applying to private schools (and some academies) as you don't need QTS to teach in those schools.

3. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

If you aren't reliant on a salary you could look to do some supply in Primary schools. If you are in the SE you may well be able to work every day, if you choose to do so.

4. muswash

muswash New commenter

I do have QTS and have taught some humanities to ks3 in the past few years but I cant help but feel that I really should have a general primary qualification!! I'm only trained to teach music, surely no head teacher will employ me to do anything other than that?

5. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

I would suggest asking some HTs. You are (in theory) trained to teach, not just to teach music. In the past, LAs have run conversion courses but I doubt they exist any more (LAs are clinging on with the skin of their teeth). If you don't feel confident to do supply you could always do some voluntary observation in a Primary school.