1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Charlie, eligible to teach with a criminal record?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Adele92x, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Hi everyone, just looking for some honest opinions - even if it's not what I want to hear.

When I was 14 (now 10 years ago) I was issued a final warning by the police for racially aggravated assult. It's not a conviction - it's classed as a caution. Stupidly did I not realise at the time how it would effect me in the future. I now have children of my own and I am due to graduate with a BSc in business and management and I work part time assisting school governors - they do not know about my conviction before anyone asks as I have not been asked for a crb check as I don't currently work with children. I previously worked at a private training provider with children (12 year olds) when I was only 17 myself but they did not perform a crb check on me till 6 months later - obviously it came back on my record and I was questioned about the nature of the offence and they kept me on as I had proved myself prior to the check - to be honest I know someome at the company messed up by not doing the crb straight away. Anyway I moved on from there to go to university and started working part time as mentioned previously.

The nature of the the offence - me and my next door neighbour had a feud going on and I was with my friends in the back garden. Me and her children (the same age as me) were having an argument over the fence. I was showing off and threw a stone over the fence and shouted go home - she claimed it hit her on the head and because I admitted to throwing the stone I got a warning. My behaviour was Unacceptable but I feel like I am serving a life punishment for being an immature teenager. My life now 10 years on - I have my children, a degree, a mortgage and would like to start a profession teaching primary school children. Is this at all possible ? Thank you in advance

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

First piece of advice is to be upfront about this caution. It will not go down well if you don't mention it and it then comes to light (which it inevitably will); people will start to wonder what else you might be hiding. It also sounds much better if you can explain the circumstances of the caution straight away; hearing "racially aggravated assault" conjures up images of things more violent than throwing a stone over a fence, not aiming to hit anyone.

Secondly, this is one event that happened when you were a teenager. It's now 10 years on and you have no further convictions, presumably you have previous employers/university tutors who can provide a positive character reference if needed. People do understand that teenagers make mistakes and, as long as you don't continue to make the same mistakes, it shouldn't be a stone around your neck for the rest of your life.

Obviously if universities/schools have a good selection of candidates then, on paper, you may not look as attractive because of this caution. But as I said, if you can be upfront about it, you will surely find someone who is willing to give you a chance.

3. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

I suspect you will not have many issues gaining a place at a University to train, as long as you are upfront about your DBS, as Kartoshka advises. Schools, on the other hand, may be far more cautious, both with the training process and appointing qualified staff.