1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Charlie and Others - A-Levels for Teaching?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by ProspectiveTeacher100, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Hiya All

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this.

In the future, I would love to become a secondary history teacher as I have a passion for the subject which I want to give to other young people. However, I will soon be asked to submit my college application and I was just wondering if they is any specific A-Levels I should take which would help me when applying for PGCE etc.

I was thinking of doing:

• History (Obviously)
    • English Literature
    • Government and Politics
    • Philosophy and Ethics
    Are these good choices or could I choose something better?

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

2. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Teaching has a high drop out rate. I would also consider what would be good for an alternative career.

3. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

You should choose A levels in subjects that interest you, because then you will find it easier to study well and get the best grades you can. Good grades will open the doors to a good university, and a good university will offer you a chance of getting a good degree - which is much more important to PGCE providers than A levels.

4. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

Just to echo what the others have said, get a good degree first and then consider if you still want to go into teaching.

Over half of those going into teaching are no longer teaching after 5 years. You must plan to have a second career.