1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Charlie, Advice needed please for a well experienced unqualified teacher wanting QTS

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by turnipicker, Sep 19, 2015.

1. After 16 years in Early years/Primary, HLTA status and 3 years working in a PVI setting and most importantly as a mum to two I am desperate to get QTS. I cover support a range of classes currently throughout the primary sector and work full time in early years.

The big problem is I do not have a degree.

I have built my career around part time courses at home and in evenings. All the routes I look into require a degree and as a mum working full time I do not think this is something I can do now.

Any advice please, or is this something I need to accept I will never get?

Thank you thank you

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I'm afraid you need a degree.

3. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Could you do an Open University degree? They may accept some of your courses and experience as the foundation towards a degree and it works well for many who work full-time and have other commitments.

4. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

Look at Foundation Degrees and top up routes. These are work based and most assume you will retail a full time job.

5. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Posts like this often appear, but I am sure they must be wind-ups.

6. mandala1

Getting into teaching is hugely complicated, I can well believe that people get confused.

7. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

There are well established courses with high numbers of HLTAs all successfully going through pt degree courses designed exactly for these people. Everyone on the course is the same. My university runs just such a course. Look for ed studies type courses at your local university. Call or email the admissions office and have a chat and they will direct you.
    Though do bite it. You need a degree.

8. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

I did my degree part-time whilst working and bringing up family, so it's entirely possible.

9. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

We have 2 TAs currently working towards a degree part time, one at college one day a week, one via the Open university. We also have an Early years teacher who has gone the whole route ( A levels, foundation degree, degree, PGCE) whilst working as a TA and who is now an outstanding Early Years teacher-and still half my age!!

10. Findlotte

Findlotte Established commenter

11. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

12. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

13. mandala1

I've worked with plenty of people whose successful journey into teaching has involved gaining GCSEs, a degree, maintaining a full time job, maintaining caring responsibilities and passing the skills tests. Not sure I could do it- hats off to them, but it is doable.