1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Bill - PGCE with Masters points or PGCE without?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by LauraLanc, Mar 31, 2010.

1. I am a NQT and during my PGCE year I gained some masters credits. I was not bothered at the time, but now I am glad I have. If and when I decide to do a masters, I already have 1/3 of the credits needed.
    It is right that for the MTL that you can only carry forward 30 credits from your PGCE, so that is one of the reasons why I am not going to do a MTL, as I have 30 other credits that I can not do anything with.
    Completing assignments at masters level is not more work on your part (or at least it wasnt for me - I went to Edge Hill) . You complete the same assignment, it just gets marked as a level 6 (university level) or level 7 (masters level).

2. You can always transfer credits onto a different masters course which I did - still within education, then all 60 credits count. I didn't like the sound of the MTL, so chose an MA in Education:Culture, Language and Identity through the uni I did my PGCE at.
    ompleting assignments whilst working as a Teacher full time is alot of work, but I hope willl be worth it in the end.
    The only difference I had on my PGCE was if we did the essays at M level, they were 2000 words longer, and we had different essay questions, although they were pretty flexible with topic areas

3. Hi there,

I've been offered a place to study for a PGCE but without the masters, and therefore at a level 6 instead of level 7. Do you think this will make a big difference when it comes to getting jobs?
    I've also been told that as its level 6 it is no longer called a 'post graduate' but a 'professional graduate' will this also make a difference do you think?

Im so confused!

Amy

4. It doesnt make a difference, or at least I have not found that it has. PGCE has always been a professional graduate qualification, but recently post graduate has been added.
    It is just useful having the option there of having the masters credits.

5. I am just coming to the end of my PGCE, and I opted for the masters credits route. Obviously it will vary from course to course, but here's how it went on my course:
    5 modules overall - 1) placements, 2) Maths and Englishg and 3) Science and the wider curriculum were all assessed at Level 6 ('normal' uni level)
    2 modules (1) Professional Issues and 2) Informed Reflective Practitioner) were assessed at Level 7 (masters level) and were worth 30 credits each. Every student on the course did these modules; I think the Level 7 PI essays were about 500 words more each, and the questions were similar but more emphasis placed on critical review. The IRP was exactly the same word count, but totally different in that L6 was all theory based but supported by personal experience, whereas the L7 was a mini-dissertation ie small scale research project.
    I didn't think it was significantly more work time-wise, and I much preferred the research over yet another boring theory based assignment, but that's just personal preference! I am now considering doing an MA Ed and already have 1/3 of the credits which is an amazing start really!

6. I did my PGCE last year at level 7 (our uni didn't give us a choice, we had to do it) - It's made no difference to me at all. At the end of the day the qualification you get is called PGCE be it at level 6 or 7.