1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear anyone . . .

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by welshchocoholic1, Apr 7, 2012.

1. welshchocoholic1

welshchocoholic1 Senior commenter

Trying to fill in applications during the holidays, as wont have much time when I go back.
    Anyway on one of them it says
    Please give details of what you can offer the school in terms of personality, abilities, skills,n experience, achievements etc, and gives you space with the application form to write it.
    But it also says;
    Alternatively you may wish to include this in a covering letter.
    I know that when they say a covering letter they actually mean a letter of application, but I was just wondering whether it would be better to write it within the application form, or do a separate letter, or whether it would make any difference at all?

2. welshchocoholic1

Trying to fill in applications during the holidays, as wont have much time when I go back.
    Anyway on one of them it says
    Please give details of what you can offer the school in terms of personality, abilities, skills,n experience, achievements etc, and gives you space with the application form to write it.
    But it also says;
    Alternatively you may wish to include this in a covering letter.
    I know that when they say a covering letter they actually mean a letter of application, but I was just wondering whether it would be better to write it within the application form, or do a separate letter, or whether it would make any difference at all?

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Personally, I would add any special qualities which might be of particular interest to the school in the covering letter/letter of application, as, I presume this will be read first and then they'll compare 'possibles' via the application form. So if you can pique their interst you might get put on the possibles pile for later perusal.
    Then put the rest in the application form.
    (But then I've never been involved in the shortlisting process!)

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Actually, Lara, I wouldn't split my good points up, because putting half in a letter and half on the form would make me look only half as good when anyone read one, whichever they read first.
    Can you put an exec summary in the form, then have your letter of application (you are right that this is waht they mean by a covering letter) as a separate document?
    That would be good.
    Best wishes

5. welshchocoholic1

Thank you both for your replies [​IMG]!
    Good idea! Tried it though, and my computer wont let me put a table in the application form bit [​IMG].
    Fed up with writing applications now[​IMG]!

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

So put the letter in the form and the exec summary as the covering letter. Probably what I'll end up doing.

7. welshchocoholic1

D'oh!! Didn't even think of this[​IMG]. I'm so stupid!

8. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

No you're not! Most peoples head goes to mush after the third application of the day [​IMG] Good Luck! x

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Noooo I spent hours trying to put a table in a form a few days ago...it is my 'give up and hope it's ok' strategy that I shared here.

10. welshchocoholic1

[​IMG]
    Thank you Minnieminx [​IMG]

11. marmot.morveux

marmot.morveux New commenter

Yes, I tried this too - it's impossible as the application forms are 'rights protected'. Instead, I gave a title (unlined, in bold print and bullet-pointed) for each ability, with a short concise sentence for each one - this served the same purpose as an executive summary, and I've been invited to interview. MM ps. Don't give up!

12. welshchocoholic1

[​IMG] Congratulations and good luck!