1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Anyone - first Job interview nerves!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by BucksFizz, May 10, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,

I am currently a PGCE student and have my first interview on Friday. As I am based in rural north west and would love to stay here, I really want to do my best to get the job. It would also be great to complete my NQT there as I did 6 months voluntary TA there before starting my PGCE, so I know I will like it!

I have been asked to prepare a 20 minute maths lesson for the current mixed KS1 class, including a short introduction and teaching point. I also have to bring along a follow up activity for the children to work on after the lesson.

I have chosen the data handling element of Unit D3 because it allows me to plan a variety of differentiated activities and apply it on the spot to the children as I assess their ability in the early stages of the lesson. My L.O is to be able to answer a question by collecting and recording data, and showing it in a graph. Our question for the teaching input is "Do you think more children are born in spring, summer, autumn or winter?" I am going to have all the resources ready made (large piece of paper, pictogram pictures cut out ready to stick down. My follow up activities have been incorporated as the children's independent learning that they would do if I was teaching the whole session. This is differentiated with different questions and resources. I have also put the plenary I would do on the lesson plan. This means so much to me, and I know I have a habit of over thinking things and being a perfectionist. I just want to do my best, and if I am successful, it will take the pressure of my final placement. Any help welcome to calm nerves!

2. Thanks for all your advice!

I have developed my lesson plan so it is clear how I plan to use afl. It's amazing how many little things you do without thinking now like behaviour management and afl. I have though added all these details in now :) so it is clear to the observers that I had planned for all these opportunities and how to keep them on task.

Doing lots of reading now on questions and linking answers to evidence from my practice. At the end of the day it will be good to get an interview under my belt :)