1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear ANYBODY! "The ability to lead" - for an NQT?!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Lilybett, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Primary, by the way. Mixed Y3/4 class, specifically! [​IMG]

2. ellie_rose

ellie_rose New commenter

I would approach this with caution! I went for an interview a few weeks ago with the exact same type of advert. They were talking about leadership qualities and things like that. The interview went really well but I didn't get the job because they said I didn't fit their criteria as I'm an NQT with not enough experience for leadership...slightly confused as to why they interviewed me when they knew I wasn't what they wanted. I think some schools do this - but good luck anyway, maybe this school is just looking towards the future and not talking about your present level of experience?

3. Thank you for the reality check and note of caution. I had been really excited to see this vacancy as it's really nearby thereby maximising sleepytime. [​IMG] Still applying for everything else, though. Surely they know almost everyone who applies is going to be an NQT since the job only came out last Friday - after the 31/05 resignation deadline.
    I HATE not getting jobs because of NQT status. Exactly as you say: why drag me in to interview me, then?! xx

4. ellie_rose

ellie_rose New commenter

Yes definitely keep applying. That's what I did and now I have a few more interviews lined up so even if this isn't right for you, there is more out there! You may still get this job anyway, as like you said, they will be expecting NQTs at this time of year. Good luck!x

5. Merci buckets, and best of luck to you, too. xx

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Don't worry!
    These are probably a mistake - someone left them in from another post. If you want to show capability here, you might mention something you did in a society at Uni - bet you've got something.
    Just get on with the job search - sign up for a TES Jobs JoibAlert - very useful. Don't forget to look at the indy jobs too - you might get just what you want there! Yes, you can do your induction in most indy schools. Have a look at the Indy Site - there's an old baldie there you might recognise.
    Independent Forum
    Don't forget to read the shortlisting clickables inside the Welcome thread to get some useful tips.
    Best of luck to you all - I am looking forward to a whole pile of new threads called Dear Theo - I got that job!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    New <u>Job Seminars</u> on Sunday 26 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

A new <u>Moving into Headship and SLT</u> seminar is on 18 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.Look forward to seeing you!

7. Theo, thanks so much for replying. I hadn't thought it might just be a mistake! So... I'll just ignore those two weird points.
    (Ah... I'm an awkward little militant and couldn't go private. A few friends have and you should hear how great the kids are, how great the resources are, how on-board the parents are... But I'd feel like I was selling out? [​IMG] )