1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear All-Interview!-Tour around school with pupils?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by AceCake, May 19, 2012.

1. I got an interview which will be my first one for teaching and it is for KS1!Letter arrived this morning. It has the usual formal interview and interview lesson which I have read about on here and I am going to start preparing. But it also has a 'tour round the school by older pupils' so I am guessing KS2 pupils. Never ever heard of this but I love the idea!

What might this tour involve? Will I be followed around by the interview panel as I go round the school?Will they grill the children to see if they liked me? What questions should I ask the children? I am quite KS1ish so I am worried about asking them babyish questions?

Should I just be myself?

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Speaking as a secondary head who for all interviews has always sent candidates around school with a couple of senior pupils each, I can state cetegorically that I haven't once asked the pupils what they thought of the candidates.
    Therefore, ask the children only the questions you want answered. It's most unlikely they'll even remember what you ask them, let alone be 'grilled' by the head about it afterwards.
    Sending candidates round with pupils does the following:
    1. It allows candidates to have a good look at the school in a slightly more relaxed fashion, so that they don't feel they are being interviewed and watched at the same time.
    2. It allows candidates to ask pupils questions freely about the school and what the children think of it.
    3. It demonstrates that the head feels confident enough in her/his school and children to let candidates loose with them.

3. pancake99

pancake99 New commenter

you in the north west?

4. I had a tour of the school by the school council for a Ks2 job - two govenors also floated - make no mistake it is part of the interview process. I was asked lots of questions by them and I asked quite a few (what is your best lesson, who is your teacher, what do you like about your school etc)

Tell the children you are used to teaching KS1 - they will like the fact you are out of your depth!

In my feedback it was noted how I had interacted with them, involved them but also empowered them and gave them confidence (that was a good question...let me think how I can answer it). There were some tiny Ks1 children that were a bit lost in the process - i held their hands making sure they were involved in the process.
    Good luck

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Not in all schools.

6. Seeing it on the interview letter bulleted with the lesson and interview made it look very official anyway, it makes me quite nervous!

I guess i'll just have to involve them as much as I can and be approachable etc etc, whether governers are there or not!

I am North East Pancake.

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done for getting that interview!
    I'm with Middlemarch on this. It would be totally inappropriate and non-professional for children, with an unscripted interaction with candidates, to be questioned about them.
    So, it would not be part of the selection process.
    However, if there are adult observers, then it could be. They would only be seeing how you interact with the children - but that can be seen in the lesson anyway, so what's the point?
    A Student council meeting with you would be different - do a search for that on here "student council"
    Do go to the Welcome thread and read the general advice in the Interview clickables.
    And then read this: * * * * * Teaching a lesson at interview * * * * *
    Do read this thread too :
    Safeguarding and Child Protection - the questions, NOT the answers. (Bump it when you've finished reading it)
    Well done again on getting your interview - we look forward to you starting a brand new thread called Dear Theo - I got that job!
    Best wishes