1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Dear advice givers- Dilemma

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by anon3946, Feb 28, 2012.

  1. I've been invited to interview at school X, but if I were to be successful (the whole point of interviews!), I would be passing up the opportunity to apply for a school I desperately want to work for and am confident I could do a good job for.
    I've spent a good few hours hashing this out with my father tonight- he fails to see why I can't go to school X, accept the job if offered and then pull out if I got the job at Dream School. (We've agreed to disagree on this matter- I know it's not an option, and it's not my style anyway!)(Besides, it would cost me/him a bomb to get to school X, which seems a waste of money just to say "no".)
    What to do? I have to choose to either accept school X and not go in for Dream School, or withdraw from school X and risk being back at square one if I don't get Dream School.
    Current solution: eat a stackload of chocolate and put the decision off until tomorrow.
     
  2. I've been invited to interview at school X, but if I were to be successful (the whole point of interviews!), I would be passing up the opportunity to apply for a school I desperately want to work for and am confident I could do a good job for.
    I've spent a good few hours hashing this out with my father tonight- he fails to see why I can't go to school X, accept the job if offered and then pull out if I got the job at Dream School. (We've agreed to disagree on this matter- I know it's not an option, and it's not my style anyway!)(Besides, it would cost me/him a bomb to get to school X, which seems a waste of money just to say "no".)
    What to do? I have to choose to either accept school X and not go in for Dream School, or withdraw from school X and risk being back at square one if I don't get Dream School.
    Current solution: eat a stackload of chocolate and put the decision off until tomorrow.
     
  3. littlemissraw

    littlemissraw Occasional commenter

    Go to school X.
    You may love it, you may realise you'd hate it, either way you can always withdraw on the day.
    If you don't go you'll always kick yourself if you don't land a job at the Dream school (also dream school may not be as great as you think) x
     
  4. TheoGriff

    TheoGriff Star commenter

    Spot on, LMR!
    And Alli, do tell your father that if you were to go his way, then the second school could withdraw its offer if it found out (you would have been attending under false pretences as you were not free to take their offer, having already committed to the first school) and so you could end up with no job.
    And being rebaptised with the new name of Mud.
    Dear Theo-turning down a job after already accepted it?
    So go to the first one, see how you fell about it, and then if offered, decide if a bird in the hand is or isn't worth two in the bush.
    Best wishes
    _______________________________________
    TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com
     
  5. Theo- don't worry, he's said he's still sceptical about that point but will let me do things "my" way; he's an accountant- terribly practical and where they can having bidding wars over candidates, etc. We agreed that he could be as sceptical as he liked about it but I wouldn't risk it.
    I've spent a significant amount of time at Dream School- it's not so a dream on paper as it is just very well suited to me. School X is several hundreds of miles away and would be costly to get to- worth it if it were a definate, but I'm all mixed up!
     
  6. littlemissraw

    littlemissraw Occasional commenter

    We've just moved 10,500+ miles for OH's job and it was worth it. Distance isn't always a bad thing (apart from the interview) there must have been a reason you applied initially? x

     

Share This Page