1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dealing with violent pupils is ‘par for the course’

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Jan 29, 2016.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

2. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Established commenter

What is His Holiness's religious affiliation ?

3. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

Health and safety regulations provide a very simple solution, for heads that aren't spineless and indifferent to the welfare of students and teachers.

Does the violent kid pose a danger to other students or members of staff? Easy to answer, even for SLT, yes. In that case, then by law, there is a legal obligation to protect staff and students. The only guaranteed way to do this is to expel the violent kid. It's that simple!

Maybe when a head gets sued by the parents of a student that has been attacked, or by a staff member, even the spineless, uncaring heads will do the right (legally required) thing. Perhaps we will see a student or teacher killed and a bad head in court on corporate manslaughter charges.

4. Annarosa1

Annarosa1 Occasional commenter

I was never physically assaulted. But I'm afraid I might have retaliated if I had been. Perhaps my pupils didn't know what to make of a woman six feet tall in shoes.

5. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Established commenter

(My highlighting superimposed)

So why doesn't this happen already?

Two part answer:

i) The spinelessness of most English state school teachers (in failing to confront the spineless heads; even when , as always, it is the teachers' health and not the head's which is seriously compromised.)

and

ii) The lack of legal and societal concensus on the two items which I have highlighted above, which you perceive as "clear beyond peradventure" but where England (sic) does not share your clarity-of-vision.

6. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

A risk assessment may state measures to reduce the risk but expelling the pupil concerned is not going to be the only way of managing the risk.