1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dealing with vague feedback

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by jimmegee, Mar 15, 2011.

1. jimmegee

jimmegee New commenter

I'm currently applying (and luckily getting interviews) for my first permanent teaching job after my NQT year. It's all good experience but the fact of the matter is that I've now had two interviews that I thought (and indeed, was told) went really well but have not actually clinched the job. When I asked for feedback after my second interview, I was told they had no specific feedback to give me and that I had done an excellent test lesson and interviewed strongly. When pushed, a vague allusion to my lack of "withitness" was made. How do others deal with vague feedback? Is it best to just accept they liked someone better than you and move on, or really give your interviewers as hard a time after the interview as they gave you on the day? And what the hell does withitness mean?

2. vou

vou

That is so frustrating to be told that!! I can understand where you're coming from. I would just accept the fact that there was nothing inherently wrong and you did well but another candidate got the job. But it is annoying. I'm sure you will find a school that will appreciate you and snap you up soon.

3. Hello!

I'm in the same position as you except haven't had any interviews yet this time round. It's horrid, isn't it! I totally commiserate, the only thing I can say is that I have been on the other side - I have been a school governor and been on the appointing panel for a head and a deputy head at another school prior to even training as a teacher. All I can say is that when we appointed our (fabulous) head, we interviewed another candidate who was pretty much equally as good. We really were splitting hairs when we decided between them. It can happen and it's awful luck for the person who misses out, but at the same time people can't 'make up' criticisms that just aren't justified. I think you just have to take this as a big positive and move on!
    I wish I was in your position - getting interviews and positive feedback from them!! I've had terrible feedback from all the interviews I've ever done, including the one where I actually got my current NQT contract! Chin up!

Jx