1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dealing with the wait

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by ryanpkenny, May 12, 2019.

1. ryanpkenny

ryanpkenny New commenter

I saw a thread a while back (linked below) about the wait from interview to getting that offer letter. That wait was horrible but I think it has nothing on the wait from accepting the offer to flying out. I accepted my offer a while back for a job in China and since then I've been counting the days.

The hardest part for me is that my students found out (a teacher let it slip) that I am leaving so every day someone mentions it. I just can't hide my excitement but the students have been really good about it, they know its a massive move and you can tell they are excited just like me.

Does anyone have any tips for dealing with the wait? If anything it has made teaching currently at lot easier as some of the pressure has been taken away. I am a lot more relaxed and having more fun with my teaching.

Or if you have no tips does anyone else want to share their excitement if like me you are going for your first international position?

Original Thread
    https://community.tes.com/threads/dont-you-just-hate-the-wait.775789/

2. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

OK, first thing - if that is your actual name and picture, I would change it PDQ if you are posting on here regularly! It makes you really easy to trace and find out any information about you by your school (and they will check....)

If you can, try doing some lessons on China with your kids (especially if they are in primary.) At home, start working out what you are going to take and what you're going to leave, and start planning farewell parties. August will come all too quickly and you will probably miss out on seeing someone because of the rush!

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  3. ryanpkenny

ryanpkenny New commenter

How do I change my name ?

4. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Established commenter

Try and use the time productively - learn some language, find out about the culture and customs - what's considered polite and impolite. Research the area you'll be living, buy some maps, plan out things you might want to see and do locally.

Depending on your relocation allowance and what your intentions are, do a trial pack - when you're inevitably miles over what you're allowed think hard about what you need and don't need.

And I guess most importantly spend time with family and friends you're leaving behind - it may be a while before you see them again.