1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dealing with the death of a child...

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by vix62, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Hi guys, i've recently been told that one of the children in my class has died over Christmas. It's so sad and wasn't expected. I'm trying to think about planning etc, but I just keep dreading going back and seeing pictures of her around the class and most importantly how to tell the other children!! I think the head may address the issue with the whole school but I know i'll have to speak to the children in my class first. I work in an SEN school and realise that I may have to deal with this more in the future but it's the first time it's happened as I am relatively new (my 2nd year). If you have any experience with this issue please could you help me. I'm getting more and more anxious about it as the new term approaches!!
    Thanks,Vx.

2. R13

R13 New commenter

I'm a Head of a Special School where we have lost children in similar ways. if I was your Head I'd hope i'd have contacted you about this BUT if I hadn't I'd be pleased to get an email or call to chat through your concerns and discuss how <u>we</u> should handle it as a school and a class

3. Ok thanks R13. I'll speak to the head on the inset when we go back and will hopefully feel better after speaking to her.
    Thanks again.

4. Your school should have a Crisis in School policy which will offer guidance in this situation. You should not be responsible for making any decisions about what to do or say; that is up to your head. The head may be assuming that you do not know anything about the death - you need to communicate with her asap. Don't assume that because you are on holiday you can't contact her. Losing a child in your class is very hard and many people on your staff will be affected, as will other children. Although you are isolated at the moment, once you are back at work you will receive help, support and guidance from your colleagues. Your Ed Psych service should be informed about the death as they will often come in and support your school. This support should be for staff as well as children.

5. Thanks everyone for your kind words. I'm sure we'll all get through this tough time as a school and class. Thanks again.
    Vicx