1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dealing with Severe PCOS - Wanting to Teach

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by rethabrunjes, Sep 7, 2020.

1. rethabrunjes

rethabrunjes New commenter

Hello,

I am hopefully going to complete a PGDE in a few years time for Primary education. It's not the course I am worried about but rather how I will deal with placements/work once I have graduated as I suffer from severe PCOS.

This has been officially diagnosed since I was 15 or so, of which I first got diagnosed partially because of how much time I ended up missing from school. Over the years I have managed to reduce my symptoms slightly but during my period I have ended up having to miss at least 2-3 days off of school/work due to the sheer pain of the condition. I'm scared how this may affect me when working full-time, especially since I already know my current employer's (at a local corner shop part-time) opinions on it. And they're not nice ones.

Has anyone else had to deal with this or something similar? And what would you suggest for future reference?

Thank you all!

2. weebleme

weebleme New commenter

I went through a time of needing a lot of time off for the same reason, as well as sometimes having to leave early to change as I was so uncomfortable (my bleeds were very hit and miss and I wouldn't ever know in advance).

I was referred to gynaecology and was set up with a mirena. There are pro's and con's but (touch wood) so far so good and no more time off. I'm now due for a replacement actually!

Hope you find a solution that works for you.