1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dealing with one Year 10 student who 'can't stop talking'

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by minnieminx, May 22, 2011.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Can you do a report card type thing. Where he has targets like "I will speak in a polite tone to adults." and "I will speak only at the correct times in class." He carries it around to all lessons and staff tick if he meets it or not. If he gets a certain number of ticks he gets a reward of some nature. If he doesn't get a certain minimum then he gets some kind of sanction.

If you ask almost any teenager if they 'feel listened to' they will almost certainly say no. He may want attention, don't we all, but at the end of the day he needs to learn to get it in an appropriate way. He is in year 10 and has probably had all sorts of interventions since year 7 at least. Until he sees that he has the problem, not all those mean and nasty teachers who pick on him, then he cannot change and it is unfair to ask him to.

Praise him to the hilt and reward for every single lesson where he does the right thing.It has to be worth his while to get it right. Also keep on feeding to him, drip by drip, the message that it is his fault and his responsibility to change.

2. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

As you only teach him for a single subject this is your best solution.

3. One thing that has worked in the past for me is giving the student 3 cards at the start of the lesson and everytime he calls out, taking away a card.
    You would have to explain to him at the start that he is free to ask 'why' if he really wants to, but that conversation will be happening at break or lunchtime, not in learning time.
    Another thing to do is to give him a few minutes of the lesson to teach the others himself.

4. I really wouldn't bother with the whole 'are you being listened to?' - obviously he is being listened to, far too much! He has to operate within the bounds of normal life as well as everyone else, so he needs to conform, for the sake of everyone else as well as himself!

5. bigkid

bigkid New commenter

I have taught thousands of children and I am yet to meet any who "can't" stop talking...