1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

dealing with failure - again! strange interview...

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by orlando_shakespeare, Dec 15, 2011.

1. So, although I taught a good lesson and I enjoyed interacting with the kids, I wasn't successful on this occasion - it makes me laugh how artificial this sounds.

The interview itself was very strange - I didn't get to see other candidates, didn't get a tour of school, didn't have the chance to chat to anyone. Just as in the letter they sent me, I had 2 slots to appear at the school - 1 for the lesson, 1 for the formal interview, which consisted of about 7 questions and lasted 20 minutes.

I first had a good feeling about the structure of the day, but the questions made me really insecure - nothing about my approach to teaching, what I could bring into the role. I was a bit taken aback by the quality of the questions, and knew my answers would not be good even though I supplied examples and showed experience. I just didn't have the feeling the panel wanted to find anything out about me, other than rehearsed "good answers" to questions about child protection and behaviour management. The phone call to inform me I was unsuccessful was short and felt rushed. I can ask for feedback after Xmas:(

I've had four failed interviews in the last 6 months, one more soul-destroying that the other and I can't believe I was able to get a teaching post (HLTA, but teaching) on my first ever interview and impress the panel with my answers. I don't know what happened to my brain and my confidence. I wish I could get it back.....

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Oh, so sorry for you. [​IMG]
    Look at the flowers thread for your 'consolation bouquet'.
    For another time perhaps see how you could work in what you want to say about your approach to teaching or what you could bring to the role by considering I could work it into this answer. Mind you sounds as if it might not have made any difference. Really odd interview!

3. I didn't feel they were the best panel either - I really wasn't nervous, quite chilled actually and just taking the questions in my stride, and I felt rushed through the questions, also the comment in the phonecall "oh, we know it must've been nerve wracking for you" was a bit of a cop-out...! so overall, after some reflection, I'm glad I didn't get it because I really didn't like the vibe of the school.........