1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dealing with extreme behaviour in EYFS

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by justamum, Apr 9, 2011.

1. justamum

justamum New commenter

I have a similar child in my Upper Foundation class. I manage him with a mixture of positive stategies (individual timetable, stickers and diversion) and time out. This has recently begun to work - but it has taken 8 months to get there!
    A lot of his behaviour was a result of desiring negative attention at home. When we take him to time out, he has to sit on a cushion for a minute without screaming or throwing anything. Our time out place is in an enclosed corridor with a low window, so we can see him without him being abe to talk to us. I know it sounds awful, but after months of training him that noone is going to talk to him, we just lead him to the cushion, he sits there for a minute and calms down. He also has no understanding of hurting others, but can now stay calm enough talk about what is making him angry.
    i can give you more details if it seems helpful in anyway.