1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dealing with difficult staff

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by MonalisaVito, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Mrs Grumpy

Mrs Grumpy New commenter

Hang on, they applied for the same job that you got ... and yet are "not comfortable" about teaching the subject you both teach at "said level" - is it that you are expecting them to teach at the highest level, or are you suggesting that they teach younger or less able pupils? It's not quite clear from re-reading this which it is. That could have a bearing on their reaction.
    As a new broom, consider this: someone who has worked within a department and not got the promotion may well genuinely feel that they are not wanted, and can give nothing worthwhile, and be reluctant to move from their comfort zone. Presumably they have experience, and skills, and genuinely thought they might get the job. Did anyone from the Senior Staff debrief them properly after they didn't get the job? Has it been a taboo subject when you speak with that member of staff?
    It may be too late now, but perhaps the failure is still festering. Do you feel that you - and / or Senior Staff can drag it out into the open?

2. snail_friendly

snail_friendly Occasional commenter

Having you listened to this member of staffs concerns? Are they valid?

I have a lot of subjects that sit under my remit and I have one member of staff who refuses to teach outside of, we’ll call it Subject A, despite the obvious content overlap. This individual could be considered ‘old-fashioned’ but are well liked by the students and an excellent teacher. However, concerns presented were valid and so, together we worked on the solution!

Listening and working together is so much more effective than ‘command’.

New HoD is tough so recognise the strengths and change little until you understand the WHOLE picture.