1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dealing with Apply 2

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by vvamadeva, Feb 8, 2017.

1. vvamadeva

vvamadeva New commenter

I'm kind of new to this site generally, so I'm not too sure of how to go about things:confused:, especially with posting a new thread of my own, but anyway, here goes...
    So, I'm in my final year of university (I'm studying psychology) and I'm hoping to get onto a PGCE programme for after graduation (so a programme starting in Sept 2017). Unfortunately, with the three choices I applied for, I've been deemed 'unsuccessful' for all three-two of them after giving me an interviews, one of them declining me without giving me an interview, so now I've been put into the Apply 2 cycle.
    I'm going to be looking at possible unis that still have space this weekend, and start to see if there are any that would still be suitable for me to apply to, but first I guess I need to know how apply 2 works. From looking at information on UCAS, I understand that with Apply 2, you can add one additional choice at a time, and that those choices have the same 40 working days to reply to you as with Apply 1. But the things that weren't clear are these:
    • Do they have to take the exact 40 days to decide, as opposed to in Apply 1, where they can reply before (all of my Apply 1 decisions came before the end of my 40 working days)? Or is it also possible they may make a decision before? All UCAS says about response times is that it's 40 days but that 'in Apply 1, they don't have to take the full 40 working days'.
      I know the deadline for Apply 2 is September, but though I really do want to get on a PGCE, I can't picture myself adding choice after choice up until September-40 days is a lot!!!.
    • Will any new providers you are applying to be aware you are applying in the Apply 2 cycle, and is that something that they'll either judge you on, or ask you about in an interview, or something along those lines??
    • As far as the two providers who declined me after interview go, is it alright for me to contact them either by email or phone and ask for feedback relating to what I did and didn't do well, so that I can use that information to improve my chances this time around? (Okay, this isn't really to do with Apply 2, but I'm still curious about this, too)

2. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

Bear in mind that providers may also be twitchy about recruitment, and may be approaching their allocation, so I would be very surprised if they didn't communicate a decision shortly after interviewing you. You do need to find out what tripped you up in apply one - providers may be willing to give feedback from an unsuccessful interview but you may struggle to get feedback from an application that wasn't successful. Last year, providers could see if a candidate was apply one or two.

vvamadeva likes this.
  3. NewToTeachingOldToMaths

NewToTeachingOldToMaths Lead commenter

You are in exactly the same situation as me - two interviews and three rejections - and I have just started with the Apply 2 process.

If you go back to the UCAS teacher training site and go to your applications, you will find now that you can add another ... but ONLY one other. Once you submit it, they will find that they've got a new applicant.

As I understand it, they have no idea that the application is under Apply 2. They will just see the application details (but not the other providers you have applied to), just as under Apply 1.

They have to reach a final decision in 40 working days ... but my experience is that they don't like running it to the wire.

Within a week of putting in my first Apply 2 application, I had an offer of interview on Wednesday next week.

I do recommend spending a good long time reviewing the possible courses you could apply to under Apply 2, however, and being very rigorous in assessing them and drawing up a list, in order of preference, of the universities you are going to apply to.

Remember that you are GOING to be asked "Why teaching/ Why here?" ... and you've got to have a GOOD answer to "why here" ... so think about that in assessing your preferences!

Good luck with it.

vvamadeva likes this.
  4. vvamadeva

vvamadeva New commenter

Thank you for the advice, both of you :):)

I've just sent emails to the two providers that rejected me after interview, so hopefully they'll reply to those soon and I'll have a clearer picture of how to prepare myself.

And yes, I'll be considering my possibilities very carefully-I've already done a quick search on UCAS to see what courses are still open in my region so I have an idea of what's there for now, but I am going to set aside some time specifically to comb over my choices.

5. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

The 40 day rule just means that if the course provider does not respond to your application within 40 days of receiving it then UCAS will effectively decline your app on that provider's behalf. That will leave you free to apply to another provider. They may just not have responded due to being too busy with admin, and may still want to interview you after the 40 day deadline.

6. MrMedia

MrMedia Senior commenter

Yes we do know if you are apply 2.

We don't take 40 days. We take a couple of days. You guys are the ones spinning things out for 40 days in apply 1.

Try to find a match between you and the provider. Local is good. Go to hard to recruit areas - often for house prices rather than cities - and you will find providers willing to overlook minor weaknesses.

7. rolls

rolls New commenter

You need to think about why you may have been turned down.
    Have you got experience of working or volunteering in schools? - if not get some
    Have you passed your skills tests? - passing these will give you an advantage
    How do you interview? get someone to give you some interview practice
    What predicted grade was put down on your UCAS form? If it was not a 2.1 can you take a recent piece of work to the interview where you did achieve a 2.1 grade or at least a high 2.2
    Think about what course you are applying for? Is your degree relevant to it? There are not many places that offer Psychology PGCE (I know Bradford, UCL and Canterbury do). If you are applying for primary be aware that this is still very competitive and a lack of experience may be the problem.

Many graduates do not progress straight from a degree to PGCE. Many take a year out and work as a TA in a school, a good way to decide if teaching is really for you as well as getting experience.

vvamadeva likes this.