1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dealing with a colleague who has breached policy

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by paulakirsten, Oct 16, 2015.

1. paulakirsten

paulakirsten New commenter

I am applying for the position for Year Coordinator and I am preparing myself for this possibility.
    What would I do if a disgruntled parent approaches me because one of my teachers has breached the policy?
    My gut feeling is to support my staff no matter what, but listen carefully to the parent's concerns and suggest we set up a meeting to discuss it further. Is it my position to then 'discipline' the teacher by reminding her of the code of conduct?
    Please can someone give me some advice on this issue.

2. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

It depends on which policy they've breached doesn't it? If it was the safeguarding policy then your approach might have to be quite different than if they'd breached the marking policy.

sara2323 and Rott Weiler like this.
  3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

If that's an interview question the second most important thing in your answer is that you will follow the school's complaints policy (the first most important is RedQuilt's comment - find out first if it's a safeguarding issue and if so follow safeguarding procedures) . Every school must have one and it will set out what happens in this scenario. Read it up in advance. It may not give you the total answer as they usually start with informal discussions to resolve the issue, leaving it to you to decide how to do that.

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  4. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

@paulakirsten

Having established whether it's a safeguarding issue, for example ignoring a parent's withdrawal of consent for school trips in which case you should be worrying at this thing like a rabid dog, consider the consequences of a formal process. Cui bono?

1. The students?
    2. The colleague?
    3. You?

Most policy is purposeless paper. People and your relationships with them are what matter i.e. your career.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Very laudable, but you must be neutral until the facts are clear.

Best wishes

Dragonlady30 and monicabilongame like this.
  6. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

And, of course, remember that just because a parent claims a teacher has done x or y, they may be a) wrong, basing their current comment on something their child told them or gossip from another parent or b) simply being malicious - esp. if the teacher has disciplined their child recently...

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  7. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

One of 'your' teachers?

No offence but it is not common for year co-ordinator to line manage teachers!

TailwindTurner, mark6243 and jarndyce like this.
  8. mark6243

mark6243 Occasional commenter

OP, you sound very important. I'm sure your current role is just a stepping stone to much greater things.

See your perceived breach by this subordinate as an opportunity to further ingratiate yourself to SLT.

I expect you've done it before. ;)

9. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Ouch!! :eek:

TailwindTurner and mark6243 like this.