1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dealing effectively with sexual innuendo from adolescent boys

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by CharlesEkin, Apr 20, 2016.

1. CharlesEkin

CharlesEkin New commenter

Hello
    I am a male teacher who is challenged by a mixed class where the boys, and only the boys, constantly snigger or wink at even the most tenuous sexual reference. I remember myself as a teenager going through this phase. It's probably a stage that most boys go through to a greater or lesser degree, I would imagine, but as the teacher wishing everyone to benefit as much as possible from the topic in hand, I am finding this very boring and disruptive. Part of me wants to get the offenders to stand up and say bulge, big, hard, etc 100 times to get it out of their system but I don't think this would be very effective. Does anyone have any effective strategies, please? I don't, at the moment, have the wherewithal to ignore it. I am totally at ease with being candid if necessary and am very happy to try the controversial or the leftfield approach.
    Many thanks
    Charlie

2. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I know that they may behave differently with different teachers or differently with male/female members of staff, but for what it's worth..

When this happens in my class, for example when talking about "penetration" of nuclear radiation with Y10 or 11, I usually acknowledge it with a comment to the effect that I just knew some of them were going to find that funny because in every class I've every taught this to someone has laughed at this point. I tell them they remind me of 6 year olds sniggering at words like bum and *****. And then we move on and and they seem to get over it.

Probably the absolute worst thing you can do is to make a fuss about it. Humour them (better still if they realise you're just humouring them), roll your eyes, then move on.

3. sparkleghirl

Oh stupid filter. The little boy's word beginning with W and rhyming with silly.

4. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Be bored by their silliness. As Sparkleghirl says, roll your eyes, suggest they grow up and get over it. If they can't control themselves send the worst offenders out until they calm down.

5. sparkleghirl

Ohhh, I wouldn't give them the honour of sending them out.

A deep sigh, "Oh Fred, (Oh boys, if it's a collective thing) don't tell me, 'bulge' is another one of those words that makes you blush and giggle. " even pointing out that the rest of the class has got over that silliness now.

6. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

They don't seem to realise that we've been through it and heard it all several times before. It's the same when someone breaks wind. Lots of giggling and laughter and complaints about the smell (often non-existent), to which I just reply that it's a natural bodily function that everybody does...even the Queen. Usually that shuts them up.

7. fineliner

fineliner Occasional commenter

I think a laid back/bored/ eye-rolling approach is ok if the innuendo is sniggering about words that have multiple meanings etc. However, there is a point at which this becomes sexist and can feel quite oppressive to girls, especially if they are in the minority in the class (I remember this resentfully from my own school days). At this point, if it is not dealt with then the teacher could be seen as complicit in the sexism.

I find that offering to have the conversation with the pupils' parents present usually puts a stop to this. It doesn't always work, of course.

cach9801 likes this.
  8. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

I remember, as a science teacher, looking at my terminology and trying to find alternatives to "snigger" words. "Knobb" became "control", Uranus, the classic one, had the emphasis changed on its syllables. etc.

I used a pained look to indicate that I was disappointed at the sniggering but probably mostly had to ride through it.

I can't remember if the book "Getting the Bugggers to Behave 2" by Sue Cowley has anything on this problem, but I found it of great help in my class room management in general.

Edit ---Lol! Had to misspell to get around the rude word filter!