1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Deaf

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by cheesypop, May 7, 2020.

1. cheesypop

cheesypop Senior commenter

About a fortnight ago I have gone very deaf. I always thought this would mean quiet. In actual fact,my head is noisier than ever.
    I have been given antibiotic ear drops for both ears, though this is a telephone consultation due to coronavirus. So far, it just feels like more gunk in my ear.
    Both ears feel blocked, pressured and there are shooting pains into my head. Ears were unbearably itchy - now a bit less so. But hearing severely affected- can’t hear traffic, or watch tv without subtitles.
    I have another appointment next Tuesday if things don’t improve. This may be for tablets rather than drops.
    I’m worried that I am now deaf for ever

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

This is miserable, @cheesypop. I can't image that it's a 'forever' thing - not with a gunky feeling in your ear. Tell your GP exactly how you feel and how worried you are when you speak again on Tuesday.
    If you are really worried, you can always go to A&E - where you will be able to see a doctor face-to-face. I know how stressful that seems, given everything that's happening, but I know two people who have felt they needed to go this week - one was advised to go because of increased palpitations, and one had tripped while out running and though she'd broken her wrist (she hadn't). Both said the experience wasn't nearly as stressful as they'd expected - great social distancing, everyone with PPE, lots of handwashing in view of patients - and a shorter wait than you'd normally expect. Both also said that there was no feeling of 'Should this person be here or are they wasting NHS time?'
    Hope you're in a better place very soon.

3. cheesypop

cheesypop Senior commenter

Thank you. The drops are now finished. Still deaf!
    My father in law said yesterday I should go to A&E - I said no automatically because I think of that as where you go when you are basically dying or your leg is hanging off or something. I’ll see what the doctor says on Tuesday - maybe they’ll agree to see me (see what Boris says tonight).
    Teenage daughter (caring sorts, aren’t they) told me categorically yesterday that ‘if this carries on you are getting hearing aids because there’s no way I’m repeating everything’. Thanks love .....

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I'm hoping it may just be a build up of wax in the ear. I've only ever had this in one ear. Two times and both when we had hot weather. Apparently the wax was melting slightly in the heat and then as it hardened making a perfect seal, so I became completely deaf in that one ear. The nurse sorted it out with an ear wash both times. Hopefully yours will be as minor, just in both ears and you'll soon be back to normal.

5. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Hopefully your GP should sort it. Please DO NOT go to A&E as sunshine suggested. A&E is for emergencies such as heart issues and broken bones, not a bunged up or infected ear, horrible as they are.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Please go to see your GP. You might have something in your ears which only someone with the correct instrument can detect.

Lalad Jnr recently told me he had gone to his GP with a sore on his leg which had become a lot worse over - wait for it - SIX weeks! It had become infected and he needed strong antibiotics and a test for a staph infection. When I asked him why he hadn't gone before, he said he didn't want to bother them, but they ticked him off for not going sooner.