1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Deadend

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by Steve76, Feb 9, 2011.

1. I really fancy a change of scene having worked in the same school for nearly ten years. What do you think the chances are of requesting a transfer within my authority? I know Im lucky to be in a job but can't help feeling a bit trapped and short of options. Also my travelling costs are £200 a month at moment so would love a shorter commute which would help with childcare costs etc. Any ideas? I know there's a vacancy coming up in my local school but I'd imagine it'll go as a temporary post - can I request a move?

2. halfajack

halfajack Occasional commenter

A colleague of mine asked to do this last year and was told she could only be transferred if she had a grievance with the school which could not be resolved. This will probably vary in different authorities. Speak to HR in the first instance.

3. I don't have Donaldson to hand, but if my memory serves me rightly, the report was quite keen on this: check it out and use it to back up any application you make.
    It will obviously depend on vacancies or the willingness of someone else to swap with you. The school you go to might also want HT reports just to make sure they aren't getting a duffer!

4. Thanks for the advice. I have absolutely no problems at my school so a grievance it not an option :) I have no worries with getting an HT report and I know my reference if I were applying for a job would be good as I am a hard worker etc and in some ways I would be happy to stay here as kids and staff are great. I just feel I need a change. I suppose this is the point where the right place for me ten years ago as a singleton with disposable income, time and nice car is not the right place now I have a family etc and need 28 hours in the day! I will approach HR as surely there must be many more people who are in my position and can't move freely due to lack of options. Thinking back now I can't remember the last time someone in my school left to go on to pastures new - it's all retirements and no replacements.

5. Oh dear! I feel lucky that I actually love my job (minus all the admin forced upon us)
    I'm sure people DO value your help and input as often SFL is a godsend in class :)

6. Thank you for your kind words, Steve. You're right - there are some who value us but, at the moment, I just feel trapped. I am concerned that as the job vacancies dry up, I'm never going to get the chance to move unless my LA goes the same way as some others and re-deploys SFL teachers. However, I don't think that would be ideal as the kids who really need help would lose out.
    Ho hum!
    Hope it all works out for you though.