1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

De motivating police is another sick trait of the Tories...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by red_observer, Sep 11, 2018.

1. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

...alongside teachers and nurses and the public service workers in general.
    Shame on them. Usual rant from me I suppose but I can’t help feeling us just bad for us all Tory or not. We need good people in responsible roles and this is just a kick in the teeth did our police.

Shedman and JosieWhitehead like this.
  2. Startedin82

Startedin82 Established commenter

It is strange because the police were traditionally the Tories favourite public sector employees. Maggie couldn’t do enough for them. FWIW I believe the police should be getting a substantial pay rise. Challenging job.

red_observer likes this.
  3. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

They're only her favourite people when they are providing the force to stop people demonstrating, picketing or putting on other displays of displeasure over what's happening

4. red_observer

Totally agree with every word @Startedin82

Startedin82 likes this.
  5. red_observer

Especially in 1984/5

6. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

It's been like this for years:
    The Ever-Thinner Blue Line vs Theresa May in full avenging angel mode.

7. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

They do a wonderful job and what would we do without them? I'd like to see more on the streets and especially in the big cities on Saturday nights. Cutting back on police and what we pay them is shameful for a rich country such as ours!! Good subject!

red_observer and Startedin82 like this.
  8. red_observer

I saw the worst side of the police in the 80s but we still need them and I have many friends in the force... good people but they are totally demotivated.

JosieWhitehead likes this.
  9. Sir_Henry

Sir_Henry Occasional commenter

like to see more on the streets

I last saw a Bobby on the beat around 1993. Since then it's only the TA equivalent social workers one sees and even they're getting thin on the ground these days.

red_observer likes this.
  10. red_observer

Someone said there were less police around 50 years ago but crime wasn’t high. We should bring them back on the beat and increase numbers.

11. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

I saw the worst side of the police when I worked in a division in the West Midlands alongside 200 policemen. Hmmmm - A young lady wasn't safe working in a police station then - yes, and I mean this. I wasn't a police woman but did all the work relating to their stipendiary, magistrates and juvenile courts - and lots of other things too - but I was glad to leave that work and teach the daughters of the gentle-folk of Jersey instead, ha ha

12. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

And this is why. Privatising the police force. You have to pay £200 a month though, to get your own named 'bobby', so guess which areas will not be benefitting from such a bespoke service?

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/...r-success-in-londons-wealthiest-a3832321.html

Britain’s first private police force is set to be rolled out across the nation following its success in three of London’s wealthiest neighbourhoods.

The force, called My Local Bobby, makes citizens arrests and can gather evidence to launch private prosecutions.

Clients who pay up to £200-a-month are given a direct line to a local officer, who they can also track on an iPad, and enjoy a meet-and-greet service from Tube stations or cars.

The scheme, which was set up by former Met officers David McKelvey and Tony Nash, is currently being trialled in Belgravia, Mayfair and Kensington.

In two years, the agency has reportedly achieved more than 400 convictions for fraud, intellectual property theft and other offences.

They now intend to move forces into other cities, as well as rural areas, amid a rising demand for the officers.

Mr McKelvey told the Sunday Express: “You don’t see policemen walk around the streets any more. If you call 101 it’s a 30-minute wait and it is not a police officer who answers.

“My Local Bobby is basically taking things back to Dixon of Dock Green-style policing.”

The officers, who wear distinctive red caps and bibs, have regularly moved on drug users and drunks from central London neighbourhoods.

A spokesman for the Met police said: “We would encourage residents who have concerns about policing in their area to contact their local Safer Neighbourhoods Team.

“There are dedicated officers working in every ward across the capital. Where organisations or communities wish to fund their own security patrols we will work with these personnel in the most appropriate way to prevent and detect crime.

“Any reports of crime and evidence provided to the Met by a third party will always be assessed and dealt with in the most appropriate way.”

13. T34

T34 Lead commenter

We have now nearly twice as many police per head of population as we had in 1961.
    But in 1961 there were 806,900 crimes committed whilst last year there were 5.2 million crimes committed.
    Perhaps we ought to tackle the causes of the increase in crime rather than increase the number of police?

14. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

And who gave them the authority to do that? Surely these officers are no more than everyday citizens, and have no legitimate right to be asking any other citizen (drug user or drunk or not) to be, or not be, anywhere they wish?

monicabilongame likes this.
  15. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I saw a policeman this morning. He had thoughtfully parked his van half in and half out of a space, so that the person next to him would struggle to get out. I suppose it was just too much trouble to straighten up. And then he stood in the doorway of the bakery and didn't move as I went out so I had to squeeze past him. Great community relations. Still, at least I saw a policeman out of his vehicle. I see lots of them driving around with little evidence that they can move independently of their vehicles.

16. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

A lot of 'crimes'would have been dealt with by a clip round the ear or a telling off. Lots were never recorded. It's not a realistic comparison.