1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

DDA and reasonable adjustments- can anyone help?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by snowstorm, Mar 31, 2011.

1. snowstorm

snowstorm New commenter

If you contact the charity MIND they will be able to help you by getting you an In-work Support worker via Access to Work. If I can find the link I sill post it, or you can do a search online. Also contact the EHRC for advise; they are very helpful.
    If you IM me I can email you further info.

SSx

2. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

As well as the other suggestions have a think about what else could be done to reduce your stress. Could you have time to talk to a named person if you are feeling under pressure or additional time to do your TLR? I assume you have been to OH?

3. Some of this may help you when considering possible adjustments:
    <ol>[*]<h1> www.civilservice.gov.uk/Assets/reasonableadjustment_tcm6-2253.rtf </h1>[*]<h1>Plans to cope with our manic depression/bipolar at
    work have been made easier by the Disability
    Discrimination Act (1995) which requires that
    employers do not discriminate against disabled
    people and that they make &lsquo;reasonable adjustments&rsquo;
    to accommodate their problems at work &ndash; and this
    explicitly includes people with mental health
    problems like bipolar. &lsquo;Reasonable adjustments&rsquo; may
    include time off to see therapists, changes in
    hours/duties or extra support during periods when
    you are having difficulties. For further information
    contact the Disability Rights Commission on 08457
    &ndash; 622633 or textphone 08457 &ndash; 622644.</h1>[*]<h1>Similarly, we can make plans for what we will do
    with any commitments we have outside work when
    we start to become manic or depressed. We might
    hand over commitments to others when we are not
    able to manage them and cancel or postpone social
    engagements.</h1>[*]<h1>Examples of reasonable adjustments</h1></ol>

This following list is not exhaustive but some reasonable adjustments you could consider may include;
    • a phased return to work if the person has been on sickness absence- starting with part- time working and building up
    • looking at aspects of the job that the person finds particularly stressful and rearranging responsibilities
    • allocating some of an employee&rsquo;s duties to another colleague and adjusting the content of the job
    • allowing the employee greater control over how they plan and manage their time and workload
    • offering the option of working at home for some of the time
    • allowing time off for attending therapeutic sessions, treatment, assessment and/or
      rehabilitation
    • changing shift patterns or exploring different work options such as part-time, job-share, flexible working
    • altering working hours e.g. reducing hours worked or offering a later or earlier start to avoid rush hour travel and review if any provisions are necessary or useful in terms of their physical health
    • look at their physical environment and review what adjustments would be desirable. E.g. moving away from a busy corridor, allowing a person to use headphones to block out distracting noises
    • offer a quiet place where they can go if feeling anxious or stressed
    • if relevant, you could consider offering support with childcare
    • identify training needs and provide support to develop the skills of the individual and their colleagues; e.g. specific job requirements and/or around skills enhancement such as communication skills or time management, and
    • transferring the employee to another vacancy within your organisation. This should usually be a last resort once all reasonable adjustments have been fully explored in the individual&rsquo;s existing role.
    Most adjustments are simple, inexpensive and need only be temporary.

Some mental health conditions can be episodic and so it maybe better to agree adjustments when they are needed rather than agreeing one or more specific adjustments that will apply all the time.

Remember;
    • don&rsquo;t make promises that you are unable to keep. Be realistic
    • if you are not sure what will help someone &ndash; just ask them
    • review the adjustments regularly

4. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

If you ring up OH you can ask if they take self referrals. If there is no one who can take over the responsibility, then you should look at different ways of getting the support. Im not sure why part time wouldn't work as surely they could try to appoint someone?

5. Diana, I don't have any advice to offer unfortunately, but am glad to see you posting.
    I was thinking about you recently and wondering how you are.
    I hope you get something sorted out for your return to work, xx.

6. I think if I could find someone to do the 0.4 then they would consider it. I suppose that advertising a post is expensive, and could be difficult to fill a 0.4 position.

I will contact occupational health this week