1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

DD quadrupled energy nonsense

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Nellyfuf2, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Lead commenter

We just had our direct debit wait a minute raised by more than 5 times - it is a company that has cash flow problems. We could not get through on the phone. So we have cancelled the direct debit as we are in credit anyway.

If that company goes bust we would be lending them nearly £700 and although I believe we would get this back eventually I just don't want to be lending them my money.
    What a load of rubbish the privatization of energy has turned out to be.
    You do know that it is a futures market don't you? Companies bid just before they need it and the price fluctuates according to usage and availability.
    It's a scam actually.
    You and I do not know what electricity actually costs anymore.

knitone and Jamvic like this.
  2. Photo51

Photo51 Established commenter

I know 11 of the 27 EU countries pay more.

3. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I know exactly what you mean. I am in dispute with "Economy Energy". I rent a property to an ex partner of my elder daughter. He pays a pretty low rent and I sorted the original energy company. He changed it to EE and I paid the monthly charge by DD (he paid me...tho actually he didnt cover it all so I was baling him out somewhat)
    Anyway...... it seems he didnt pay overmuch attention to the online statements...... though these did say there was "NO NEED TO CHANGE THE DIRECT DEBIT" Now if I read that..... i don't bother going any further. He did that also. In fact a huge debt was building which led to EE taking £304 from my bank account in Sept and then Oct when it flagged itself up to me. Turns out he was £700 in debit.
    I then start the phone calls...plus tell him in sept to change supplier as 12 month deal is up. This he does. Phoning EE I ask for an undertaking that they will not take a further £300 in Nov as I am determined I am not going to overpay them. On their own site they gave an undertaking that they would NOT allow customers to run up debt.
    I formalise a complaint. Hear nothing. He is with a new company and final readings were given. After a couple of weeks I get an email informing me of outstanding debt. They wanted £162 on one of the fuels. I rang to query..... am told it s for Oct to Nov. I inform them he left them.... (so much for bloody Martin Lewis telling you how easy it is to switch....... Oh no it isn't !!!
    I ask about my complaint. I get email from complaints dept saying complaint is closed. ER what? No replies to my queries as to their 'practices' no attempt to resolve my issues at all. Blue touch paper well lit now. I phone again...... and insist on speaking to someone..... operator put me on hold to find someone..... later came back to say .... complaint closed and a balance is outstanding. He after my next tirade put the numpty who sent the "complaint closed" email. What a piece of work she was (with the name Ellis Johnson in case anyone else is 'lucky enough' to come across her.... yes her.... where does the female name of Ellis come from then?? ) Got nowhere with her....she was like a tape loop. So... I paid the supposed last bill for up to 15 Nov (2 months after the supposed switch!)
    I raised the complaint again on a web site..... just get gobble gook back from EE. They completely ignore questions on issues relating to the case.
    So I paid the last bill.... one for £30+ and there was a balance of 30p+ on the other. Well the site wouldn't accept a payment of under £1 so I have downed tools. Am not going to pay this 30p+ and they can go and **** themselves.
    Today.... a demand email arrives for ..... oh not the 30p but for the £30 I paid them on 17th Dec! You could not make it up.

My advice is that no one is tempted to use this company!!!!!!

4. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

5. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Lead commenter

Er yes I think this is our company not sure will check.
    But we owe them nothing. They have our money because we have overpaid. But in spite of that they have raised our DD by £300 a month.
    Yup.
    From £60.
    So now £360 a month.
    What?
    Yes we do not use much electric we have an eco conversion.
    We will have to pay them £60 or so for cancelling the contract. But they cannot get any more of our money. Probably the wrong way to go about things but you can't get through on the phone so.
    They would only have to do this for the next two months and they would have around £1000 of our money. You see. So no. We have just cancelled the dd and then they might want to talk to us.
    Anyways
    I know from one of the little Nells that the Ombudsman has to be brought it. It has taken him months to sort out his switch. It is not easy switch.

6. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

And the ex-partner of your daughter?

7. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Don't even go there @racroesus ..... the utilities debacle is the least of my problems right now.

8. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Oops misunderstood the D D. I know, I know, immature etc.

9. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Exactly the same thing happened to us.

We were in dual fuel credit by over £600 when our last contract ended in October. Immediately it ended we got a letter saying our direct debit was increasing by another £40 pm, an increase for the second time that year due to our supposed increase in consumption. Our usage hasn’t dramatically changed at all from last year, I check the readings regularly, so this was a load of rubbish. With no decent comparable tariffs available to choose from with the supplier holding on to my money and them not being willing to give me any of this ‘credit’ money back I set a switch in motion.

It’s now 5-6 weeks since first initiating the change over and I’ve just had a final bill from the old lot which generated an immediate refund of the credit they were sitting on into my bank account. Some of that refund went to pay an initial amount to the new supplier, apparently so that we can start off ahead with payments prior to our regular direct debit which starts in January. We now have a new fixed deal for a year, with no ‘release’ fees if we choose to swap again, a £65 saving on the dual fuel direct debit per month and, even counting that initial payment to the new lot, an extra £475 in our bank account.

The whole system is insane.

10. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

We just switched to e d f.

They put the d/d at £175. I tweeted and emailed and finally 'phoned and told them £125 or I'd switch again. They reduced it to £125 there and then.

No way am I building up a credit balance with the energy company. Just say you'll switch.

11. drvs

drvs Star commenter

£70 a month for dual fuel with EOn - happily running a £0 balance 1 year after switching to them without ever having to contact them (or have a smart meter). I'm impressed.

No surprise at all that some of the "highly competitive" pop-up energy companies are struggling to deliver on their aggressive pricing.

towncryer likes this.
  12. blazer

blazer Star commenter

We pay about £80per month for dual fuel with british gas. Mrs B checks every month and adjusts the DD up or down a bit to keep us close to whatever figure they have. Never a problem and we are getting 5 free days this month as a bonus. Last year we hade 4 months of free energy Sundays (Guess which day was warmest in our house and when everything got charged)? We do comparisons every few months but rarely find anything cheaper. Or if it is cheaper it is a firm we have never heard of and won't take the risk of changing. The only time we found a significant difference it was Sainsburys. Which turns out they are part of British gas and when we actually started to go through the process and got actual figures they were more expensive when the standing charges were added in.

13. MustaphaMondeo

MustaphaMondeo Occasional commenter

robin hood energy.

We got an email from them a while back to say they had cocked up buying on the spot market and the were not going to be very competitive for the next few months. It might be worth our while to shop around for an alternate supplier, and they were sorry. They were still the cheapest bar a couple of fly by night companies. Nice people doing good work.

Run by Nottingham council as a not for profit. I like them.

14. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Lead commenter

Yes Robin Hood is one of the good companies. However Mr Nell deals with such stuff and I suppose I should take more interest.
    As in give him some help.

15. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

We pay our bills quarterly. Would never have direct debit. You are far better banking that money monthly. I think British Gas have got the message and have given up trying to persuade us.
    I have wondered whether a strong enough private energy lobby would be able persuade the government that direct debit, or pre-payment meters, should be compulsory for everyone to avoid bad debt. Consumer bad debt that is. It is obviously fine for the energy companies to be in debt to the consumers.

racroesus and harsh-but-fair like this.