1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

DBS

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by stupot101, Sep 11, 2015.

1. stupot101

stupot101 Established commenter

Is it possible for me to apply for a DBS as an individual for freelance employment?

2. WaylonWu

WaylonWu Established commenter

You can apply for a basic DBS through the police but this won't be enough for teaching. You will need to get an enhanced one through a teaching agency. It's easy to do. Just sign with an agency, pay the £45 and they will apply on your behalf.

3. WaylonWu

Sorry I misunderstood. You don't really need one as a freelance tutor. There is nolaw which says you do. If you want to though just do what I said above.

4. WaylonWu

Wow! 4 days and the two messages above still haven't appeared!

5. stupot101

May I send you a PM WaylonWu?

6. WaylonWu

Yes sure.

7. stupot101

Sorry WaylonWu, I cant't seem to work out how to send a PM, or read messages

8. WaylonWu

I've heard it's not possible to send PMs while moderated.

9. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

@WaylonWu is correct you will only be able to get a DBS certificate through a registered employer. You could do this with a supply agency (you never know they might even give you a bit of work to tide you over). Once you receive it you will have 19 days to register for the 'DBS up-date service' which costs £13 a year. Registration means that any subsequent employers won't need to undertake a new DBS as they can access your certificate on-line and free of charge.

10. Marijke

Marijke New commenter

I've handed in my notice today (maths HoD, been teaching 7 years) and will hopefully be tutoring maths after Christmas. Can I still use my school DBS? When that runs out, can I only go through an agency for a new one? Or can I register for that update survive?

11. WaylonWu

You can definitely use it @Marjike. There isn't any official expiry date with a DBS. If your existing one is already on the update service you only need to pay the £13 once a year to keep it active.