1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

DBS update query

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by jmj6000, Nov 7, 2017.

1. jmj6000

jmj6000 New commenter

Hello, I have recently left a full-time post at a secondary school and am setting up other means employment, including private tutoring and working in primary schools. My last application for a DBS check was when I began teaching training years ago, and has since been organised by my last school. I have looked at the DBS info on gov.uk, but am not sure which of the various options/upgrades I should be applying for. Please can anyone offer any advice?

2. 50sman

50sman Occasional commenter

You need an up to date enhanced DBS which you then register with the update service ASAP

jmj6000 likes this.
  3. jmj6000

jmj6000 New commenter

Thank you. Can you or anyone recommend the best company to get an enhanced DBS check for myself with? (The system has totally changed from when I last did this years ago).

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

I'm not clear if all your work will be as a self employed tutor or whether you will be an employee of a school as well. If you are employed by a school they will presumably require you to submit an application through them and you will get a DBS certificate that way. Problem solved.

But if all your work is as a self-employed person you cannot apply for a DBS check. Only employers can do that. Google 'DBS checks for self employed tutors' and several websites discuss the position of tutors and DBS checks.

jmj6000 and Piranha like this.